Why is my tank valve leaking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an opportunity to talk to Mark at DRE to discuss the issue, and the posting by Liberato is what we discussed. Here a couple of clarifications. The original version of the insert (112 ring on both sides) worked the best and was changed only to comply with some European standards, not for any functional reason. The second version, which is the one that is shipping now with PST tanks, is the worst, with 112 ring inside and 014 ring outside. The third version is a prototype version (112 inner/014 outer), with the redesigned outer channel, which DRE is using only in its shop on its rental gear as a test, really doesn't hold the outer ring much better. He made it sound like the protoype version is not being shipped to customers.

It seems the second version was specified to use the 014 purple Viton outer ring, but PST is shipping the tanks with the 014 brown Viton ring, that supposedly being a better fit.

DRE offered to ship me a replacement 112/112 old style insert at no charge. Which I must say I appreciate greatly, and so there to all of you PST owners who ridiculed me on an earlier thread for paying the "outrageous" $399 for my tank when you could get them elsewhere for less.

Leadking is right. There is a new insert that can be gotten free of charge from either Pressed Steel Tank or Thermo that solves the issue. New valves all come with the new insert. Took care of the problem.

Just to muddy the waters a little there are 2 different 8mm hex slot inserts. One with a distinct hex pattern and a much higher outer ridge (the lip outside the O-ring) and one with the hex pattern tapered off at the face such that you have to look at it to notice the hex pattern, with an outer ridge much lower than the other style. Both use 112 O-rings and have never caused any trouble so Leadking's 8mm rule still holds. So, I guess the distinction is really just academic. It is odd that our 4 PST Series-E Thermo valves are all 112s since they span from 2 years to 1 month, all factory fresh when ordered. And the oldest has the same insert style as the newest...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom