Why is my D4i in gauge mode? How do I get it out of this mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if the menues are the same the choices are AIR NITROX ON /OFF if you toggle to OFF this puts it in freedive mode if you go underwater then its stuck in freedive mode for 48 hrs
think that how it works
hope this helps

if the menues are the same the choices are AIR NITROX ON /OFF if you toggle to OFF this puts it in freedive mode if you go underwater then its stuck in freedive mode for 48 hrs
think that how it works
hope this helps

The menu choices are DIVE NITROX FREE OFF, in the Dive Mode. In further looking through the manual, the verbage below should clarify everything;

The FREE mode has a time limit of 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, Suunto D4i will automatically change from Free Dive to Scuba Bottom Timer. After the dive, the no- fly time will countdown from 48 hours. Also, you will not be able to dive in AIR or NI- TROX modes until the no-fly time has counted down to zero. You can only set the DIVE mode to OFF.

NOTE If you want to dive in AIR or NITROX mode after diving in FREE mode, remember to switch to the correct mode. Otherwise, the
free dive time limit will activate after 10 minutes.

... the D4i doesn't even have a gauge mode that you can select.

The D4i manual (and presumably the instrument itself) calls this "Free mode". It seems to be functionally equivalent to other Suunto models' (e.g. Cobra) "Gauge mode", including the automatic reversion to this mode for violating a mandatory Deco stop. So read these as synonyms and maybe we'll make some progress.

Perhaps I jumped to conclusions; it is possible to accidentally press the series of buttons to set the D4i into free mode, where it will behave pretty much as described, including the 48 hour no-fly, no plan mode, can't change to dive mode, etc. I'm not personally familiar with the D4i to know if the display stays at "Er" when you blow the mandatory stop, or that goes away. The manual pages 41 and 79 suggest that the "Er" display might be temporary, but it's not really clear.

So if you just accidentally set it to "Free mode", my apologies. But before dropping the possibility that "Er" mode was involved, consider the information on page 65:
5.10.2. Mandatory Safety Stops
When the ascent rate exceeds 10 m/33 ft per minute continuously for more than five (5) seconds, the microbubble build-up is predicted to be more than is allowed for in the decompression model. The Suunto RGBM calculation model responds to this by adding a Mandatory Safety Stop to the dive. The time of this Mandatory Safety Stop depends on the severity of the ascent rate excess.

So it doesn't take a "table depth/time violation". as we commonly think of it, to require a mandatory stop, just ascent rate will do it. Your profile shows an 8 m ascent in 39 seconds, if I've interpreted it correctly. That's 12.3 m per minute for 39 seconds, sounds like it meets the spec.

Accidentally setting "Free mode" seems unlikely enough to want to consider other possibilities. But it could be the explanation.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm pretty sure Muzikbiz22 nailed it. In my reading and re-reading of the manual, I skipped over this part because I never expected to be in Free mode. But this totally explains every one of my observations. The 48 hour no fly. The inability to go into Dive mode. The fact that my unit did not alert me about the rapid ascent (since it was already in gauge mode), etc. I'm left with the (not totally surprising) conclusion of user error. Okam's Razor would have suggested this from the start, but now I finally have a good idea of what specifically happened. Hopefully this discussion can help others who bumble into the same situation in the future.

What a great forum!

dorkito,

I apologize for my late reply. I have been away for the past few days and was unable to check the forum. Yes, the only way your computer was placed into bottom timer mode would have been if you started the dive in " Free Dive " mode and exceeded 10 minutes dive time. The D4i is easily switched from Air, Nitrox, Free, and Off before starting a dive. When activating the dive mode before a dive, you should always check to make sure the computer was in the proper mode. Once you start to descend, you will be unable to change the modes. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Hi Chris, thanks for the confirmation. The instructions clearly say to check, so this one is all on me.

Another question though, I see that you and others mention an "off" option within the dive mode. My device only had the options of air, nitrox and free within dive mode. When I was reading reviews for the D4i, I noted that a common gripe was that dive mode could not be turned off. It automatically defaults to dive mode if you descend in time mode, and reviewers who teach confined water classes wanted to exclude those sessions from their log, for example. Is this something that was added in a firmware update after the initial release?

Last edited:
Dorkito,

Yes, one of the features of the firmware update is the "off" dive mode position. This update can be done at an authorized Suunto service center. If you have a service such as a battery change, the update will be done at no charge. If you send the computer in just for the software update you will be charged. Each service center may have slightly different prices for the update. the current version is 1.2.10. If you would like to send your computer in, then you can use the link provided to locate the nearest authorized service center. Suunto Dealer Locator

Best Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris and everyone else. The watch reverted back and now shows the full dive mode again. I'll get the update to the firmware at some point.

Back
Top Bottom