Why is low density important in a the dry suit insulator gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the issues with argon is though its readily available from welding supply stores the tanks are lower pressure so it would require a separate booster pump in order to fully fill the inflator tanks which raises the price.
Separate high cost booster pump is unnecessary. search for Omnibooster on Scubaboard, mine has been used for at least the last 20 years, and hasn't damaged a compressor yet.

Michael

Separate high cost booster pump is unnecessary. search for Ommibooster on Scubaboard, mine has been used for at least the last 20 years, and hasn't damaged a compressor yet.

Michael

Just passing what I was told when I asked

I just started the free Science of Diving specialty that SSI is offering and one of the statements in the course materials puzzled me: "Argon’s low density and cost make it an inexpensive dry suit insulator."

I understand the negative efftects of high density of the breathing mixture, but why is low density important in a dry suit insulator gas?

I was reviewing the SSI Science of Diving book when I took the course several years ago (2012). That statement is not present. This what the book says (it in spanish, so I translated).
"Nitrox and Argon to Balance Dry Suit

Argon has approximately twice the insulation capacity of air and has been a general-purpose gas to balance dry suits. Argon does not provide heat and must be used in conjunction with appropriate underwear. It is usually carried in a small tank placed on the back plate or harness. A regulator with a low pressure hose connects to the tank and suit inlet valve so that gas can be added when needed. Argon can diffuse directly through the skin. It diffuses little by little, however it is highly soluble in the tissues. If argon is not available, divers can choose an underwear with higher insulation properties and use the gas breathed from the main tank, or fill the tank with air to balance the suit. Due to the higher concentration of oxygen, the use of Nitrox is not recommended to balance the suit. The thermal protection offered by wetsuits and drysuits can be improved by adding helmets or hoods and gloves. Gloves, however, reduce dexterity and it must be ensured that all necessary skills can be controlled with the equipment by the gloved hand.
If you choose to dive in a wet or dry suit, you should do a no-decompression dive test, for the same total time period, and in the same temperature water, just like your planned decompression dive. Make adjustments in your exposure protection, before completing a mandatory decompression stop."

SSI Science of Diving page 4-49.png

Unless one is making dives that are incredibly long, really really deep, or in extremely cold water, the added warmth of argon likely wont be noticed.
ISTM that a heated vest might be a simpler alternative. And perhaps cheaper in the long run.

ISTM that a heated vest might be a simpler alternative. And perhaps cheaper in the long run.
Exactly why I decided to get heated suit vs argon. Also with argon you have to have own tank bank for it which also raises costs. Also there is always possibility of suffocating because of wrong connection. Not really worth all the hassle, because we have good li-ion batteries nowadays for heated suits. In ni-mh and ni-cd battery times that made more sense.
Army is different, they need to be non electrical because of enemy sensons and argon makes sense then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom