Why I will definitely take the Rescue course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait. What? This person continued with a second dive after that?

He did ! He seemed shaken up bit when we got out of the water but decided to go for the second dive anyway. I guess he thought it was better to get back at it asap.

Salut,
First as greeniguana replied, why would this diver do a 2nd dive.
Second, here's a story that might make you chuckle. 2 years ago this week, I was diving at Canteen Park in Brockville. I was with 2 buddies who were experienced tech divers. They were teaching me how to use an electric scooter. Had a blast but as we were returning from a 45 minute dive in the St Lawrence I noticed a diver panicking about 100 feet offshore. So I rushed over, did a quick assessment, asked if he needed help, dropped my scooter into the water and offered my octo. As it turned out, he was in the Rescue Dive class and it was there last exercise and he was the dummy. Eventually we all landed, had a good laugh and these RD students all said that the class was much better than OW and AOW. I've talked to other RD divers and they all said that the course is great. I did my AOW last year and have RD on my bucket list in the near future. Dive, dive, dive, safely and wear a mask. :cheers:

Ha ha ha ! That's a good one. I almost did the same thing last year at the quarry when people started yelling "we have an emergency ! We have a distressed diver here !" but it didn't take long to realize it was an exercice (I was about to jum in the water :-S) .

The rescue course was very helpful, but I found basic wrestling skills worked best at managing a flailing, panicked diver:

First get left-on-left wrist control. . . twist his wrist inward (pronate) so you can get behind him, go two-on-one on his left wrist if needed . . . once you're behind him, throw a half with your right arm, but don't run it--just leave it there to control him in an upright position . . . switch your left hand from his left wrist and reach under his left arm to gain control of his inflator hose and pre-position your hand to give signals right in front of his face . . . depending on your relative body sizes, either put in both legs like you're going to leg ride him or wrap his waist with both legs, hooking one ankle with the other foot. Now with the right hand that's on the back of his neck, calmly twist his head to the left so he can see your smiling, reassuring face coming over his left shoulder to let him know everything is going to be all right.

You forgot something. You get two points for the take down and 5 for the pin.

I highly recommend the RD. With a good instructor there are a lot of skills and knowledge to be gained. I would say it is one of the best courses to take as a diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom