Why don't we eat Lion Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting people to eat lionfish is not generally not a problem. Restaurants in popular dive locales had trouble keeping it stocked prior to the pandemic.

My fear is that if it becomes a delicacy or otherwise sought after meal and restaurants can't get enough supply somebody somewhere is going to figure out how to produce more. Even if they are done in farms, more will invariably make it out into the oceans. I want 'em dead too. It is just a fear that I have in the back of my mind. Entrepreneurs can be necessary evils, but none the less occasionally evil.

My fear is that if it becomes a delicacy or otherwise sought after meal and restaurants can't get enough supply somebody somewhere is going to figure out how to produce more. Even if they are done in farms, more will invariably make it out into the oceans. I want 'em dead too. It is just a fear that I have in the back of my mind. Entrepreneurs can be necessary evils, but none the less occasionally evil.

LOL, entrepreneurs aren't "necessary evils", they're the people that invented and produced virtually everything you've ever used or owned or benefitted from.
And, given how thoroughly lionfish have permeated the Caribbean/Atlantic regions, and how quickly they procreate, a few hypothetical escapees from non-existent farms hardly rate being a concern, much less a "fear". :rofl3:

Females produce over 10,000 eggs a week. I don't think we will have to worry about humans increasing their numbers.

LOL, entrepreneurs aren't "necessary evils", they're the people that invented and produced virtually everything you've ever used or owned or benefitted from.
And, given how thoroughly lionfish have permeated the Caribbean/Atlantic regions, and how quickly they procreate, a few hypothetical escapees from non-existent farms hardly rate being a concern, much less a "fear". :rofl3:

If I say fear for the future does that make it any more tolerable for you? I understand they don't exist now. Also note that I didn't deride entrepreneurs as a whole. I also understand what they do. But, hey, happy to bring you a chuckle.

Females produce over 10,000 eggs a week. I don't think we will have to worry about humans increasing their numbers.

We just read a post from someone that said sellers couldn't get enough product. I think that you underestimate our abilities as humans. Gladly willing to be wrong, however.

The eggs have a repellant not sure what it is but when cleaning some at the palancar pier one day I was throwing the guts in the water and the pier fish were devoured everything. I threw some roe in the boiling mass and almost instantly the school of fish fled and the roe sank to the sand.

The eggs have a repellant not sure what it is but when cleaning some at the palancar pier one day I was throwing the guts in the water and the pier fish were devoured everything. I threw some roe in the boiling mass and almost instantly the school of fish fled and the roe sank to the sand.

interesting yeah. Could explain why their reproduction rates are so positive and they are actually becoming quite abundent,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom