Why does water squirt out my eye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So when I'm descending and try to equalize, which I have no problem with, I more often than not have water squirt out of my eye. What's that all about? I've only seen this before by some stage performer who drinks a glass of milk and then squirts it out his eye.

What method are you using to equalize? It sounds like you are forcefully squeezing tears from your tear ducts. Of course, that's just a WAG.

Wild ***** guess . . .

Most likely, you have a little water in your nose when you go to equalize, and you are simply blowing that up your tear duct and into your eye. The tear duct starts in the corner of the eye nearest the center of your face, and drains into your nose. It's not difficult to force water up it backwards. Happens to me all the time. Disconcerting, isn't it?

TSandM:
Wild ***** guess . . .

Most likely, you have a little water in your nose when you go to equalize, and you are simply blowing that up your tear duct and into your eye. The tear duct starts in the corner of the eye nearest the center of your face, and drains into your nose. It's not difficult to force water up it backwards. Happens to me all the time. Disconcerting, isn't it?

I'm so glad you addressed this, because just reading the original question had started me down the road to a panic.

TSandM:
Wild ***** guess . . .

Quite. I am thinking about getting some windshield wipers installed on the inside of my mask. Re earlier question - I am equalizing using the standard pinch your nose method. Anyhow, I guess this is it, although I should point out that it does not seem like a little water and it happens on multiple equalization attempts per dive.

Back
Top Bottom