Why do you Lie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dive guide,everyone is my instant dive buddy, I trust no one at any time for any reason.
Some divers 'mislead' me on number of dives,medical,weight,exposure requirements,and air comsumption.Experience requiring check out dives usually sets the record straight on who is what. Depending on the situation, I have no problem of ending their dive plans on my boat.
Report unsafe diving to your dive guide,it's not only your life you are saving.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I WISH it were like that, but the truth is that (in my limited experience) some guys would put us BOTH in danger because their silly little pride can't stand it that this little gal uses less gas than him.
I believe you are correct. I would venture to say that the problem the OP had with his buddy will never happen with a female buddy. They usually use a lot less gas anyway, and they don't have a fragile male ego to nurture (unless it's their husband's :wink:).

Reactions: Jax
I am just annoyed at people who dont understand the that they are carrying my emergency supply.

I think this is where you went wrong. You shouldn't count on other divers to carry around your "emergency supply" unless it is explicitly discussed as such (it didn't sound like you guys specifically spelled out what would be done if the stuff hit the fan). For example, two divers agreeing to share bailout gas, and understanding what mix each of them has. Under this arrangement, you agree to stick close enough to each other that should one person need the other's supply they can use it - also, it can differ depending on the depth and what mixes we're talking about.

If you're diving an AL80 with no pony or slung bottle for redundancy - then consider yourself mostly on your own. Your buddy is there as a backup, backup - there's no substitution for carrying what you need with you, especially when people get separated by rather large distances in really clear water.

I agree on the point about it being lame that the buddy actually gave you the wrong amount of psi info.

Herman, thats Papabear talk, have not seen him on the board for awhile now.

Happy Diving

All of this is the reason I dive solo, even in Coz. I go out on the boat with the other divers, drop in with them and the DM, then proceed to do my own dive. I've used the same op for years, and they're comfortable with me doing this. If conditions warrant, or we're diving Barracuda, they let me know and I follow their plan to the letter. Otherwise, its all me.

I don't mind buddying up with new or infrequent divers at home in the quarry, and I'm always glad to help any way necessary. However, when I'm on vacation, I'm not wasting a dive tending to them or cutting a dive short because they are low on air. I don't mean to say I wouldn't help a diver in distress, just that I plan on getting my money's worth...

Firefyter probably has the best approach to the insta-buddy issues.
That's why I avoid insta-buddies. Threads like this one really make me appreciate having solid dive buddies.

-Mitch

Reactions: Jax
I actually did meet some really good guys that even taught me a few things too. Not to mention had some GREAT dives with them as well. Not all insta buddies are evil :)

I am just not sure I would ever lie about something like how much air I have left.

Back
Top Bottom