Why do people spit their regulator out as soon as they surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said, I got the information from Thalassamania, who I believe was involved with NAUI standards at one point.
It was a part of the SSI OWD course in the 2000-2005 period, we used to use the instructional video during our courses and using a snorkel was mentioned as something important during a giant stride entry.

CMAS and the VDST still teach not to take out your regulator when you surface.
I find it good practice to keep it in your mouth until you get on the deck of the boat.
I recently read about a diver who drowned while walking in to the sea without his regulator in his mouth because he fell and could neither get his regulator or get up.

So in my opinion there are no good reasons not to keep your regulator in place, especially since you always surface with at least 50 bar so you have air to spare....

After 45 years I still have a reg in my mouth when I’m in the water. A friend of mine died a few years ago in 2ft of water because they didn’t have a reg in their mouth when they fell over exiting the water. By the time others spotted them and got over to roll them over, it was to late, no more than 5 minutes.

I never understood the fuss about this. I feel like this whole thing is a non-issue for people that (a) are comfortable in the water and (b) have a necklaced backup. I almost always take the reg out of my mouth after establishing positive buoyancy on the surface, usually to talk with my buddies and hang out while waiting to get picked up by the boat. If the conditions were really bad on the surface, I might consider keeping it in a while longer. If I fell off the ladder, I'm confident I could get the necklace in my mouth and surface without problems, even if I didn't have a mask on. The only reason I keep the mask on my face until I'm on the boat, is so that I don't lose it, and I almost forget it's on my face after a dive. But if the weather is really nice and I want some sun on my face, I'll take it off.

It looks like I'm the only "human" diver in here. Oh well.

The moment I (and most if not all of the fellow divers I dived with) hit the surface I spit the reg out and the mask goes around my neck. Then I clear my throat and nose as usually a lot of disgusting stuff are released at this stage, so I try to do this facing away from my fellow divers.

I can't recall ever diving in a sea rough enough that I couldn't breath comfortably on the surface (without reg of course).

I'll take my regulator out when surfacing if it's calm enough, and I want to talk to my buddy. When I decide that I'm heading for the ladder to reboard the boat, the regulator gets cleared and goes back in my mouth before I'm on the ladder.

I've come up three types of ladders so far. Two are "standard", with the steps between the rails, one off the aft of the boat, the other in a "cutout" in the mid fore of the boat. I generally take my fins off and hand them up on these ladders, and climb with my fins off. If the boat's pitching at all, there's an opportunity to slip and if I end up back in the water with my fins off - I want my regulator in.

The other ladder is the afore-mentioned "christmas tree". I was introduced to that type a couple weeks ago for the first time, and it was very interesting climbing it with my fins on. The fifth time I used that type of ladder, we had a squall approaching and the boat was bouncing pretty good, (for your basic landlubber type like me). It's a learning experience climbing a ladder with fins on, and I absolutely wanted my reg in if I fell off.

As for snorkel - I carry a rollup in a pocket, it's in case things go south and I need to swim.

After 45 years I still have a reg in my mouth when I’m in the water. A friend of mine died a few years ago in 2ft of water because they didn’t have a reg in their mouth when they fell over exiting the water. By the time others spotted them and got over to roll them over, it was to late, no more than 5 minutes.
This is one reason why I bungee my reg in with a cord around the back of my head. If I did go unconscious underwater, from a fall or otherwise, the reg MAY stay at least somewhat in my mouth and I may not drown. If I had the $ I'd go for a FF mask. But I'm not really gunna worry about falling in 2 feet of water and dying. I just spent 7 weeks in a campground alone with no one around to help if I had a heart attack. That's another reason why I don't worry much about diving solo.

Different strokes for different folks. Weak swimmers who enjoy SCUBA are well-advised to keep the reg in as stated by many above. On the other hand, others including (but not limited to) experienced surfers, freedivers, competitive swimmers and triathletes, have a very different relationship with the water and might reasonably decide that they'd rather chat, save gas by using their snorkel, or whatever.

I can't imagine telling a surfer, who routinely gets pinned to the bottom by rough surf after wipeouts, that he might drown if he doesn't keep his reg in. I'd be laughed off the boat!
The regulator should be in the mouth during the exit. I have seen a loose second stage get caught on a ladder more than once, and when the diver climbs, the second stage is ripped off the hose and sinks - It is quite dramatic.

Also, some boats have the engine running as divers exit and if you are wearing a mask, you can not smell the exhaust and you may continue to inhale the exhaust fumes - until you can taste them, and by then, it is too late, you will most likely becomes sick from the exposure.

In addition, if you are breathing nitrox, it makes sense to stay on the enriched air from a nitrogen absorption aspect, probably until you are seated on the boat and maybe afterwards.

There are a lot of good reasons to keep the reg in and they don't necessarily have anything to do with watermanship skills.

I never understood the fuss about this. I feel like this whole thing is a non-issue for people that (a) are comfortable in the water and (b) have a necklaced backup
Most recreational divers don't have a necklaced backup.

How do you climb a ladder with fins on?

Yeah here it is lots'a bubbles, that's because all my exhaust goes out the left the right one is blocked

40 014 (3).JPG

I just wish there was a water droplets tickling the throat course
followed by five minutes, of coughing, spluttering and gasping

Is there something wrong with me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom