Why do I get this light ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using a Canon PS SD630; Ikelite UW housing & Ikelite slave strobe. When using the flash (either built-in or built-in/slave), I get this half ring of light as seen in the attached pic. Most of the time it is on the top left, but sometimes it's on the top right side of the shot. I thought with the slave that the issue would be taken care of, but I was wrong. Any ideas what's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 141
Looks like a reflection of the camera body. Does the flash inside the housing fire? Just a guess, but that looks like the problem to me...
Good luck solving your mystery!

Hi Francousteau,

Do you have any kind of mask to prevent the light from the flash of the camera to be show?

When I said mask I mean as example tape the inside of housing (leaving a hole only to let the light reach the OF) or using some kind of opac plastic at front of the house.

M.Oliveira

Also check that there is not a silver reflective ring around the front of the lens.

Put black electrical tape on the inside of your housing in the same position as the reflector. This should take care of the issue.

It's the reflection of the rim of your lens bouncing off the inside of your housing lens port, and back into your lens. Use a Sharpie to color this rim around the camera lens black.

I just tried a new nikon l22 in a Ikelight case , had the same problem . Nikon suggested to zoom out a little. The reflection didnot appear if I did this

Back
Top Bottom