Why Divers Die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
I think they were just looking for further confirmation of some of these bizarre sounding deaths even if the link leads to a newer resource/reprint.

Even so, shame to see those deaths, people really need to think. About half of those examples were about weight, the other half or so seemed to be about not having things hooked up, with a few other cases in there. All you need as ditchable weight is the amount equivalent to the gas you are using and be weighted to be neutral near the surface at a low tank pressure - sure many of you have heard this before, but people (at least these fatal examples) dont seem to be doing it.

PANIC I think a lot of situations could have been rectified if a calm head had prevailed. The guy that jumped over with just a weight belt on, I know stupid but had he just released it he would have come up. Entanglement I have been entangled in fishing lines three times whilst solo diving, my solution sit on the bottom take out the knife and cut it away.

cdiver2:
A very intresting read taken from Yorkshire divers board= undercurrent

Interesting reading

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if I had to summarize that I would make these conclusions:

1) many incidents occur at or near the surface and have to do with the diver's inability to establish and/or maintain positive bouyancy.

2) Diving with inappropriate or inappropriately configured gear can get you killed

3) Sufficient attention to buddy checks would reduce the number of incidents

4) Panic can turn an incident into a disaster

What should an instructor say to his/her students to address these issues?

R..

cdiver2:
Not saying this was the case but if we put you in sea water you will need more weight then if we add a dry suite more weight. I think I have heard on the board that diving dry adds a lot of weight...maybe some of the dry divers can tell us what kind of weight is used.

In the pool with my 4mm drysuit and the undersuit I wear when it's cold I need about 26-28lbs to make just the suit sink without any other gear on.

My kit is a little negative so I can get away with about 17lbs of actual lead.

R..

As tragic as all these deaths are, we all can certainly learn from their mistakes. They remind us of the importance of being comfortable and very familiar with our own and ours buddies equipment, proper weighting, equiptment/buddy check before getting in the water, refreshing our skills on a regular basis. Also don't REACT to a situation. STOP, THINK then ACT.

As an active diver (75 - 100 dive/year, plus lot of pool time with student), I have yet to encounter a significant problem underwater. I hope that if an event occurs, I will be able act appropratly.

Back
Top Bottom