"WHY DIVERS DIE" - SCUBA SHOW 2021 SPECIAL INVITATION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Why Divers Die - Scuba Show 2021 (16-9, 4 cases- FINAL).jpg

We'd like to invite you to a "special" edition of our annual Scuba Show seminar, "Why Divers Die," which we give each year at the Scuba Show. This is where we discuss the scuba fatalities that happened in L.A. County the previous year (in this case 2020) and give you the facts of the case, what the Chamber was able to do, what we can learn from the accident, and the official cause of death. We'll also touch on how COVID affected the way we respond.

Since the show is virtual again this year, we were asked to record what we would have normally done live. It is available on-demand through the Scuba Show 2021 website all weekend so you can "join" us whenever it's convenient for you. The downside is that we won't be able to answer your questions but the upside is that the e-mails for Deputy Coroner Captain John Kades, Chamber Director Karl Huggins, and Reef Seekers owner Ken Kurtis (me) are all on the final slide of the presentation, so you can feel free to e-mail us with any questions and we'll get back to you.

Here's the direct link to the presentation. We really do consider this a type of public service because we think there are some very good take-aways, even from tragic events, and we hope you'll take some time to listen to the four cases we'll present and make sure you're not making the same mistakes.

VIEW "WHY DIVERS DIE" THROUGH THIS LINK
(You may need to hit the PLAY arrow to start and you can scroll back and forth on the timeline once it gets going):
https://scubashow.com/2021/05/21/2020-seminars-on-demand/

Hope to "see" you for Scuba Show 2021.

Thank you for this. The diver that told his buddy that his valve was off, Was the valve off or could he not breathe because of his heart condition? I have had several students with anxiety tell me that the regulator was not working. I let them breathe out of mine that damn near breathes for you and they say the same thing.

Thanks again for this. Very useful to all divers.

Jay

Thank you for this. The diver that told his buddy that his valve was off, Was the valve off or could he not breathe because of his heart condition? I have had several students with anxiety tell me that the regulator was not working. I let them breathe out of mine that damn near breathes for you and they say the same thing.

Thanks again for this. Very useful to all divers.

Jay
I know the same diver. But he hasn't serviced his regulator in 17 years.

Very much so a PSA! Thank you for posting.

Back
Top Bottom