Why did you go pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought all divers go pro after 50 dives?

I didn't go pro because I love the newly minted DM (usually with no buoyancy skills and 20% of my number of dives) critiquing me after the 25 ft check out dive.

That aside I didn't go pro because I dive for fun. Repeating the same OW course over and over and ... just didn't seem like fun to me. Also, I have realized that I have no desire to lead a dive as a DM. Mostly I guess my lack of patience just isn't suited to going pro.

It was a joke BTW.

I realize (and appreciated it), but we are past the first 10 posts that people take seriously. Scubaboard rules now dictate either a flat our flaming war or some tongue in cheek comments.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

(Laughing faces included to indicate joke)

Last edited:
I decided to go pro when taking my advanced open water, The instructor I had was amazing in the water, and I wanted to dive like him. Ironically, he became a course director, and evaluated my rescue assessment at my IE, and told me it was better than his when he did his instructor exam.

So my question to the pros, is what prompted you to become a pro? Did you see a gap that needed filling? Did it just sort of happen as you progressed and saw things you thought needed to be addressed? Did your agency/shop/whatever motivate you along the path? Did someone specifically ask you to teach them?

I'll admit that I ended up "going pro" because I thought I knew more, was a better diver, was a better trained diver and thus could be a better "pro" than some of the "pros" I saw teaching locally.

What I have learned in the time I've been "a pro" is that I did have better training than many of those I saw teaching locally. I have also learned that there is a huge gap between what I know and what those to whom I aspire to be like(NWGratefulDiver for example) have done and can do.

I wish the base level of experience/training was better and higher.

I decided to go for my divemaster rating after my first ocean dive. I just fell in love with being able to explore underwater and wanted to learn as much as I could about the sport. My instructor was a great mentor and advocate. Once I reached that goal I discovered how much I love passing it on. My favorite part of being a pro now is being part of other people's "ah-ha" moments. We see a lot of those in this sport. :)

Well my story of going pro is an interesting one to say the least.

I started diving in may of 2007 when I was on vacation to Hawaii. I really had no idea I would have ever got hooked on it because at that time if I was in a pool and could not touch then I simply would spaz out. The hotel we were staying in was the Grand Wailea and it offered a pool session for discover scuba and after several thoughts about it and realizing swimming was not required I decided what the heck. I then came home pondered for a while and in September 2007 and decided to sign up for classes. You can imagine my shock when I realized I could not swim but had to pass these requirements.

Well with the passing of the minimum standards (I have always been able to snorkel just not float or swim freely.) I was amazed and sought to strengthen my skills with the final objective being a master diver. Now I am not one to debate the usefulness of the MSD but I was very proud of my achievement.

I then decided to take the divemaster course and again I got a slap on the side of the face when I realized there was timed swims and other requirements involved. Again here I was pondering and then decided that I would take my shot and go for broke. Either I could learn to swim or Id go out like a man trying.

I think the biggest thing was I knew I was learning to swim at a slow pace but was not satisified with it so I needed something to drive me harder. I took swim lessons and I had jello arms but none the less I fought for what I wanted and achieved it.

Now as for going pro there are alot of reasons people go for it and there is no doubt each person takes it as "Those requirements were to easy" or some people see it as attempting to live the dream. For me going pro was about just being able to have the dream.

Most divers have just about learned the difference between their arse and their elbow after 50 dives..................

There is no way that any diver can have seen and properly experienced a wide enough range of conditions and dive sites in only 50 dives to be successfully leading divers - although I think that PADI and I differ on this opinion!

Jon

I'm curious what you would consider a "wide enough range of conditions and dive sites" to warrant successfully leading divers. I tend to agree 50 dives isn't enough but what conditions would you say "meet the requirements" then, if you had to select different conditions a diver should have experience in before becoming a DM/instructor?

A long winding road.

Loved the water since I was a kid. Some of you can relate. As a kid I read the Jacque Cousteau books, watched the films, and in the Boy Scouts did all the lifeguard and swimming merit badges. In college took swimming and lifeguarding classes. Got certified and married in 1979.

About two years after I got married and being a poor college student working on my Master's I found out the local police department was looking for guys with strong backs and weak minds. I fit the bill.

Shortly after getting hired I volunteered to work on the search and recovery team in addition to my regular duties on partol. This team consisted of myself and another police officer who were just OW certified. We also had a couple of guys from the local fire department who would tag along once in a while.

We covered four parishes (counties) and of course back then we had never heard of any actual S&R training. We were just bold and stupid enough to jump in black water and crawl around on the bottom and recover bodies, vehicles, outboard motors and guns. We didn't see our first BCD jacket until 1982. Just plain luck that we actually survived all those years.

In 2000 my son took the normal college classes as a freshman but also saw scuba diving was offered. He jumped on that when I told him that I would sell all my old gear that I was still using and buy us all new gear. Hey my Jet fins were still working. Why throw away good stuff. And least I forget my Nemrod Snark II reg. I even sold my double twin 50's that were rated at 1800 psi and made in the 50's or 60's.

I took the class with him and actually learned that there had been some innovations. My wife, son and I took dive trips together and we actually continued through Rescue together.

In my fulltime career in law enforcement I was also a Defensive Driving Instructor, CPR & First Aid Instructor and Firearms Instructor. I did Master Scuba Diver and talked with the owners of the LDS about becoming a Divemaster. Did that and enjoyed helping and coaching new divers along. Took tech training and am now on my second pair of Jet fins. I also own some of those new fangled twin jet fins along with a handful of dive computers, eight tanks and a pair of doubles, a couple of drysuits, several sets of regs. and four BP/W setups.

In 2007 finally became an instructor and still enjoy the work. It's two nights a week at Louisiana Tech teaching college students and usually one weekend a month at the shop teaching. This might eventually turn into another fulltime job about the time I hang up badge and gun.

I've taught at a couple of IDC's as a Staff Instructor and would like to make Master Instructor and who knows past that. Spent this past month working with two good people getting ready for their IDC next weekend.

While I'm teaching scuba in that giant Olympic cement pond at Tech in the summer my wife sends me pictures of the great shots she takes while spending the summer at our house in Cozumel. She's a teacher and knows how to enjoy her summer vacation. Does anyone else see a problem with this or is it just me?

I'm curious what you would consider a "wide enough range of conditions and dive sites" to warrant successfully leading divers. I tend to agree 50 dives isn't enough but what conditions would you say "meet the requirements" then, if you had to select different conditions a diver should have experience in before becoming a DM/instructor?

Very interesting question...I come from a military helicopter background which does not allow a newly wing graduated individual to become an helicopter instructor without having a minimum of one operational tour under its belt (three to four years with probably close to 1000 hrs on type). When reaching its first unit and operating a crewed platform, it may take two years for such a individual to achieve Pilot in Command of the platform. As part of the developmental process, these individuals have to go through a formalized upgrading program which will expose them to a variety of tasks and environment. Years of lessons learned and flight safety have shaped this process.

Is it possible to have them seen all possible situations and environments??? the answer is no but by that time, we expect that the individuals have not only enough tools in their toolbox to handle other situations but we also have a very good expectation that they will have the brain power to adapt them to unforessen situation. In addition, the standard is very well established and captured in reference material and checklist and individuals are subjected to periodical written and practical tests to ensure that they meet those minimum standards. As a standards officer and instructor, not only will you be assessed on your own flying proficiency but also on your specific duties (standards and/or instructing). The norm also calls for an independent standard officer to act as testing officer and not the instructor who just dispensed the training.

Am I proposing such a rigid system for scuba diving? Hell no. But presently, an individual could start DM training with 40 dives all pretty much accomplished at the local quarry where he also got OW, AOW, RD certified, graduates with a minimum of 60 (to include experience (???) in night, deep and navigation) and Bob's your uncle.

Personally, I would like to also see demonstrated experience and proficiency in boat, shore, still water, current (drift and no drift) and limited visibility conditions as a minimum and quite frankly I am still debating EAN and drysuit as add-on to the list. Why, because around here if you are going to act as a DM, those will be the conditions you will in all likelihood encountered as part of your duties. Number of dives, I understand this to be very subjective and arbitrary. Perhaps, the entry criterias, rather than relying on numbers should solely rest on demonstrated diving proficiency in those environments and the exit criterias...demonstrated proficiency in accomplishing your duties in said environments with said testing to be done by an independent testing officer, not the instructor. That way, both the individual (diver) and the organization (instructor/dive school) can be monitored in terms of standards.

Some folks might probably say ...no wonder he (me) does not demonstrate a burning desire to become a dive instructor especially after proposing such a system. Hey, as a helicopter pilot I have been exposed to that for the 25 years (out of 35 year total) I have spent in the cockpit as a pilot, standards, instructor and flying supervisors. I think I would still be able to live with such a system when it comes to diving. The question is...do I really want diving to become a job when I retire from my full time job or just dive for fun, assist when required or requested and attempt to be the best example I can be for others....

My .02 cents.

Back
Top Bottom