Why did US change daylight savings time date?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougr52

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
does anyone know why we ( in the us ) a few years ago changed the date that we start dst by 2 or 3 weeks earlier & changed the date that we end dst by 2 or 3 weeks ??? so now we do not change on the same dates as cozumel, who made this decision & why ????

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This post was split off from a discussion in the Cozumel forum regarding the possibility it may change time zones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if that actually happened. My bet is not.

Nope. I lived in indiana when they switched to honoring DST. Studies were done and energy usage actually INCREASED.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-08-daylight-saving-time_N.htm

Given the climate here I could see it increasing business costs to run the AC more, but it depends on sunrise/sunset times and general climate. Indiana summers are pretty brutal, but AC usage is not as common here in Cozumel for people that actually live and have acclimated.

Didn't the US also change DST in the energy crisis of the 1970s? I seem to recall going to school in the dark.

Yes, they did. I also remember walking to school in the dark in the middle of winter in the upper Midwest. I don't know whether it saved any energy.

try growing up where I did, Northern Labrador. We walked to school in the dark most of the year, sun came up around 10 a, and was gone by 230 p

summer was cool though, sun up at like 5 am till midnight or so. Never really was pitch black, you could always see

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom