Why Cave Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superlyte27

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I started diving in 1996 just before I got married. Like all my hobbies in the past, I pursued this one with a tenacity. I wanted to see it all, do it all, experience it all. And I wanted it RIGHT NOW.

I had probably made 80+ dives before seeking actual instruction (no, I don't recommend it, I got really lucky). When I did finally seek instruction it was from this crazy PADI instructor who had been diving for 50+ years and teaching for almost as long. And he did this crazy stuff. He dove in caves.

Well, honestly compared to my dives in the Key's and off Daytona shooting fish and reefs, wrecks, and wildlife, caves were not that pretty. Granted I've never been to Mexico, Brazil or the Bahama caves. But so what, you are underground, there isn't many fish or wildlife. It's just rock and sand, mud or silt. Pick a color, big deal.

And then in 1996 diving in the Ocean in Florida was crap for what seemed like an eternity. Waves were high, lobster and fish were scarce, conditions sucked forever. My friend who instructed me through OW, AOW, Rescue and DM was having fun cave diving while the ocean was crap, so finally I got jealous and took Cavern & Intro with Bill R.

I really didn't care about caves for the aesthetics of it, but it was better than diving the same old springs. Granted there was some eliteness to it and a little bit of an adrenaline rush, but really, shooting fish or being 150' deep on a wreck was cooler. But as I got better at cave diving and doing more and more cave dives something started to change.

What changed was my focus. Being in a cave was serene. My focus wasn't on 10 other people from a dive boat and how what they're doing messes my dive up. My focus wasn't on the arguement me and my wife got in. Or did I remember to make that deposit. Or will I have enough money to get new tires or did I submit that bid for the housing project. Hundreds of stresses and worries that plagued me day to day every day would vanish. In a cave, I had a singular focus. That focus was the cave. That epiphany changed my world. I could submerge myself in that brisk 72 degree water and all my worries, all my stresses, and all my troubles would fade away. I would finish the dive and break the surface of the water and breathe fresh cave country air and feel renewed. I'd feel like I could survive another week. Life was good.

I love cave diving. Even if it is just a rock and dirt underwater.

Why do you do it?

The serenity that comes with pure focus is one of the reasons. It's also why I liked working in the operating room. For a short period of time, everything else in your life is gone.

The technical challenge is another thing I enjoy. Looking at a section of cave and trying to figure out how to position myself and how to move to get through it cleanly is something that's fun for me.

The crystal clear water gives one a feeling of flight -- I describe diving the Mexican caves to people as "flying through a cathedral".

I also love the unpredictable nature of caves . . . turning a corner and discovering the entire character of the passage you're diving has changed. Jailhouse is a great example of that -- going from dark, gnarly, spooky tannin-stained passages and descending into huge, white hallways.

And finally, the caves are full of beauty and fascinating formations. Looking at dams, or various flowstone formations, or helictites fascinates me. Thinking about the inexorable drip of water and the tremendous spans of time that were required to build what I am seeing gives me a feeling of awe.

There just isn't much I don't like about cave diving, except schlepping the gear. (But I don't like that much in any other kind of diving, either . . . )

Why did I get into cave diving? Well, as the OP so eloquently put it ... I wanted to see it all, do it all, experience it all.

I have to travel long distances to dive in caves ... so it's something I know I'm only ever going to get to do once or twice a year for a few days at a time. In other words, I'll never be anything more than a line-following cave tourist. And that's OK. I live in an area that offers fantastic open water diving, and I dive a lot. Cave diving to me isn't about the "allure of the caves" or any other such thing ... it's just something else to experience. I enjoy it ... but that's because I enjoy diving in general, and it's just another item on the buffet table.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I seem to have inexplicably lost my appetite for lobster lately so I may just give cave diving a try. Previously, swimming under a North Florida Piggly Wiggly Supermarket had no appeal what-so-ever. :)

I took the cave diving class in order to improve my diving skills. I really had no intention of doing many cave dives at all. Something happened though, It turns out that I really like to look at wet rocks and silt.

I feel like I am one with the cave and nothing else matters. The deeper or further back the more in-tune with myself I become. It might be simple self preservation, but the feeling is unlike anything that I have ever experienced above water. I have to force myself to exit the caves. I don't want it to end.

I enjoy the difference in diving caves. When I got my bouyancy dialed in it all clicked. I got hooked. I admit that I started because of my snuggle buddy. He was an adamant cave diver. So I dediced I'd try. He taught me Cavern but that didn't get me ready for Intro. That kicked my butt but I survived, even doing my last 2 skills as the only student the instructor had. When we surfaced she told me "just like a pro." I beamed.

But I still didn't know that I wanted to cave dive.

So the next day my snuggle buddy took me to the Peanut line at Peacock II and I got to the first huge "room." I stopped and saw how deep it was. But I knew my bouyancy was fine so I finned across. We went back almost 1,000 feet on my 1/6th.

The next day we went back to do the other side of Peacock II and we started the dive. I made a birds nest of the tie off at the surface and switched to my backup reel. That worked and we started into the cave. I got into the Cavern zone and my snuggle buddy came up to me and thumbed the dive. We got to the surface and he had a flooded drysuit. So we packed up and left, our last day in Florida for that year.

As we left, he was driving and I told him I wanted to tell him something most people would think was negative. I told him I was disappointed we couldn't dive.

So we went to Mexico last May and I am now fully hooked. Yes - I can make the rest of the world go away when I'm cave diving. It takes that concentration and it's a lot of work but wow - go around the corner or just light up a new area. Fantastic.

We are going back to Florida in November and I'm scheduled for my Apprentice class. Then Mexico again in May and I hope I can do one jump. The big thing is I can now use 1/3'ds if I get my Apprentice.

I've been practicing my valve drills, practicing line skills and think Apprentice will be easier than Intro. At least this time I know it's not an easy PADI class.:D

I only did Deep Cavern course for the skills in December last year - learn how to use a twin set, run line, stuff like that, but I dunno, something about the caves really hooked me (I still don't know why as basically I am looking at wet rocks) so I did Cave soon after and it is my favourite type of diving by a long way. I live about six hours from caves so can only go once a month but I look forward to it all month! 8 days til next trip :):)

All my other overseas plans (Truk, Antarctica, Great Barrier Reef) got shelved too and instead next year I will go to Mexico and Florida to try out caves elsewhere.

The visibility is amazing and I find it so peaceful... It's hard to explain though and usually I don't do a good job so friends just think I am weird :p

The visibility is amazing and I find it so peaceful... It's hard to explain though and usually I don't do a good job so friends just think I am weird :p

maybe point them to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom