Why Buy a MAKO Speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
There are several high quality spearguns on the market today. However, there are several things to look for when choosing a high quality speargun. Below is a comparison checklist to help you decide on your next gun.
Proven History of Success? (yes or no)

Mako railguns have an established history of proven success.

Unlike some guns, Mako guns are NOT MADE IN CHINA. Mako Railguns are designed and developed by engineering legend, Mr. Daniel Hu, who issued a license to a company (operating outside the USA) to sell these guns in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Mr. Hu then issued a license to Mako Spearguns to sell these same high quality railguns in the USA. These high quality railguns continue to be produced using only the highest quality materials by Mr. Hu at the same factory that has produced them since their entry into the market, thus establishing a highly successful history of producing some of the most dependable and reliable railguns in the world.

Trigger (stainless steel or plastic)

All Mako guns include stainless steel triggers.

Some guns come with a plastic trigger instead of a much more durable stainless steel trigger. Stainless steel is by far much stronger than a plastic trigger. The triggers on all Mako Spearguns (Railguns) are made of stainless steel. Even our Predator Pro Railgun has a stainless steel trigger which is encased in a polymer cover.

Line Release (stainless steel or plastic)

All Mako guns include stainless steel line release (located at the underside of the gun).

Some guns come with a plastic line release instead of a much stronger stainless steel line release. All Mako guns come with a stainless steel line release.
Note: Our stainless steel line release is strategically positioned on the bottom of the gun. Some guns, with plastic line releases, position the line release on the side of the gun which can be easily broken off.

Sear (stainless steel or plastic)

All Mako guns include stainless steel sears.

Some guns that come with a plastic line release also have a plastic sear. It is the sear that holds the spear in place prior to firing. As mentioned above, having stainless steel parts in a firing mechanism makes for a higher quality gun. All Mako guns come with a stainless steel sear.

Loading Butt (yes or no)

All Mako guns include a loading butt.

Ask anybody who has loaded a gun without a loading butt and they will be the first to tell you that they wish they had one. All Mako Spearguns include a loading butt which makes loading a Mako gun quick and painless.

Shafts (mini sharkfin shafts or notched shafts)

All Mako guns longer than 90cm include mini sharkfin shafts.

Spears with mini sharkfin tabs are 50% stronger than spears with notches. This is critical for longer guns where the added strength is needed. This is not an issue with shorter guns where notched shafts are O.K. on short guns. Mako carbon spring steel spears are the strongest spears in the industry and are guaranteed to fit all euro trigger mechanisms.

Each gun comes completely rigged with your choice of the following Mako spears:

For open muzzle guns in the following lengths 120cm, 130cm and 140cm:
7.5mm thick carbon spring steel w/ 3 mini sharkfin tabs

For open muzzle guns in the following lengths 90cm, 100cm, 110cm:
7.0mm thick carbon spring steel w/ 2 mini sharkfin tabs

For open or closed muzzle guns in the following lengths 90cm, 100cm, 110cm:
7.0mm thick carbon spring steel w/ 2 notches

Slip Tip w/ Threaded Shaft upgradable

We provide exactly what you want.

If you want your gun rigged with a slip tip and threaded shaft instead of a flopper shaft at the time of purchase, we will give you a credit for the standard shaft so you only pay the difference. At Mako Spearguns we take pride in providing you with exactly that which you need and only that which you need.

Muzzles

Built for the largest fish in the ocean.

If you choose the Mako open muzzle for your gun, you are getting the only open muzzle with 2 rock solid stainless steel over wrap tabs for both left and right handed hunters. These stainless steel over wrap tabs can handle stainless steel shooting line as well as the thickest mono or dyneema shooting line. The band holes are slotted for easy band change outs and it is also the only open muzzle with a built in stainless steel reel line guide. Even the shock cord attachment hole is re-enforced with stainless steel on the inside of the glass filled nylon material. Simply put, this open muzzle was built for the largest fish in the ocean.

If you choose the Mako closed muzzle, it also includes a built in stainless steel reel line guide as well as the shock cord attachment hole that is re-enforced with stainless steel on the inside of the glass filled nylon material.

Integrated rail barrel (yes or no)

All Mako guns have an integrated rail barrel.

It is a known fact that railguns (guns with integrated rail barrels) are stronger and more accurate than standard euro guns which lack the integrated rail. Standard euro guns have a 2 to 3 inch piece of plastic installed on the barrel to provide added support to the spear,. Some euro guns use a stick on rail which provides zero added support to the barrel resulting in barrel flex upon firing, thus loosing accuracy. All Mako Spearguns (Railguns) are true railguns with integrated rails extending the full length of the barrels thus providing less barrel flex and increased accuracy.

Latex Bands (Made in the USA or imported)

All Mako bands are made in the USA.

I have nothing against importing goods from overseas. Our grips are made overseas and they are some of the finest grips in the world. However, some speargun manufacturers are getting their latex bands, for a lot less, from Chinese suppliers. We have compared samples from these factories and I will just say, WE DO NOT USE IT. There are ways to reduce costs, but when it comes to something as important as your bands, we will gladly pay the extra cost for a higher quality material. There are many reasons why our customers say our guns are so powerful and incredibly accurate. This is one of them.

Latex Bands: (made to order or pre-made)

All Mako bands are made to order using fresh material.

Ask any spearo and he will tell you to go with bulk rubber latex tubing instead of pre-made bands or screw on type of pre-made bands. For optimum performance, your latex band material must be fresh. Pre-made bands and screw on bands are made in mass quantities. When you buy pre-made bands (screw-ons or otherwise), you have no idea as to how old they are. Mako Spearguns (Railguns) uses only American made latex and we order only enough material to last us a couple of months at a time. This ensures your latex tubing is both fresh and the highest quality available.
We do not make your bands until the day the gun is ordered!!!! We use only Primline latex tubing (made in the USA) which is the best and most expensive latex tubing in the world, guaranteed. It is by far, more powerful and longer lasting than latex from France, Greece, Italy or China. Before you buy latex tubing, ask where it is from. The difference in quality is SIGNIFICANT!

NOTE: Even though we use the best and the most expensive latex tubing available, we do not make your bands until the day you order your gun. Experienced spearos know that the moment the wishbone is tied (or crimped), THE CLOCK STARTS TICKING! The latex material that has been stretched over the wishbone will begin to degrade slowly with the best latex and degrade quickly with cheap latex.; There is no avoiding this fact. That's why it makes sense to construct (or purchase) your bands only when you need them. MAKO bands are not made until you place the order. This insures that you will get the freshest, most powerful and most reliable bands possible.
When buying a gun off the shelf, you have no idea how long it has been sitting there.

Latex Bands (Customizable or screw on)

All Mako bands can be customized for the required length.

Guns that come with screw on bands DO NOT allow for adjusting band strength. Because Mako Spearguns bands are made to order from bulk rubber, you can adjust the band strength to meet your specific needs. Women or younger spearos, or spearos with pre existing injuries can opt for longer bands for easier loading, while stronger and more experienced spearos can shorten the bands for increased power. Adjusting bands lengths while staying within the recommended parameters (see instructional info-band length chart) allows the spearo to adjust the band lengths to meet their individual requirements.

Wishbones (dyneema cord or metal)

All Mako wishbones are Dyneema cord.

This is a no brainer. Metal wishbones are dangerous and give no warning before breaking. All Mako Spearguns (Railguns) include dyneema corded wishbones.

Rigging (custom built to your exact specs or buy off the rack)

All Mako guns are custom made to your exact specifications.

Off the rack guns don't give you the options you need. All Mako Spearguns (Railguns) are custom rigged to your exact requirements at no additional charge. You tell us what you want and we build what you want.

A) Select gun length

Predator Pro Railgun Length Chart

60cm
70cm
80cm
90cm
100cm
110cm
120cm
130cm

Oceanic & Iconic Pro Railgun Length Chart

90cm
100cm
110cm
120cm
130cm
140cm

B) Select gun color (black or camo blue or camo green)

C) Select muzzle (open or closed)

D) Select band configuration (single 20, twin 16s or triple 14s)

E) Select band strength (hard pull, medium pull, easy pull)

MAKO SPEARGUNS BAND CHART 5/8" (16MM) Diameter Bands 3/4" (20MM) Diameter Bands

*Short: More strength and experience required for loading
*Medium: Average strength and experience required for loading
*Long: Less strength and experience required for loading

F) Select shooting line (300lb or 400lb mono) in blue, red, or black

G) Select the number of wraps (single wrap, break away, or double wrap)

The measurements in this chart are approximate and based on (the length of the gun plus the length of the shooting line plus the length of the spear) grip to tip. These measurements are based on the distance from the grip to the end of the spear after the gun is fired. (From your hand to spear tip). These distances do not take into account the required distance needed to penetrate a fish in order to engage the flopper.

MAKO SPEARGUNS SHOOTING LENGTH CHART GUN LENGTH Single Wrap Grip to Tip Break Away Grip to Tip Double Wrap Grip to Tip

60 CM 11.87' 13.83' 15.79'
70 CM 13.54' 15.83' 18.12'
80 CM 16.00' 18.00' 21.25'
90 CM 17.75' 20.00' 23.75'
100 CM 19.25' 21.75' 26.00'
110 CM 21.00' 23.75' 28.25'
120 CM 22.75' 25.75' 30.50'
130 CM 24.25' 27.75' 32.75'
140 CM 26.00' 29.75' 35.25'

NOTE: When rigged with a double wrap, the spear might begin to arc before the spear reaches the end of the shooting line. Band length will affect the actual distance and trajectory. Remember, your bands should never be shorter than the recommended band lengths as noted in the "instructional info / band length chart" page.

Warranty:

This is a MUST READ!

All Mako Spearguns (Railguns) include a 3 year no questions asked warranty. Even if your gun falls out of your truck while driving down the freeway, we will repair it or replace it at no charge. I don’t care if the gun was run over by a baggage handler at the airport. I will repair it or replace it. You just pay for shipping. We obviously can’t cover normal wear and tear on bands, mono or the occasional bent shaft. However, our warranty is the best in the industry.

Customer Service:

This too is a MUST READ!

I could spend hours on this subject trying to convey to you our thoughts as it relates to such an important subject. In short, here are my thoughts on customer service. First of all, I don’t even call it customer service. I call it “Buddy Service”. I would do anything for my buddies and I know for a fact that my buddies would do anything for me. Call it a guy thing, or call it whatever you want. If you hunt fish, you know what I am talking about and you don’t need me explaining it to you. Since I have so much in common with my customers, I consider them my buddies and I take care of my buddies.

Pricing:

This too is a MUST READ!

Why are our prices lower? It is simple. We sell direct to the public. We sell high quality products, but our products are not currently sold in dive shops, which is why we can sell for less. For example, our Spearguns are made using stainless steel components, which actually cost more than plastic. Our spears are some of the best spears on the planet and our latex tubing is without a doubt the best in the world. Our wetsuits are made by the same factory that makes wetsuits for many internationally known companies and the factory that produces our fins also produces fins for other well respected companies. Our prices are lower because we don’t currently sell to dive shops. We will be moving in that direction. When we do, our prices will need to increase to take care of the dive shops, most of which provide a valuable service to their local divers and to their community, and they deserve to make money for adequately servicing their customers. But for now, our business model is about building relationships with individual divers. So, when we do make the transition, we will have a solid framework of satisfied customers. And by supporting various charitable organizations along the way, we will have demonstrated our commitment to the community as well.

http://www.makospearguns.com/why-buy-a-mako-speargun_a/290.htm

Last edited:
And this is why I own a MAKO!!

Thanks Ricky!

Here is ANOTHER reason to buy a MAKO Speargun….We also offer an enclosed track railgun (ETR).

There is nothing like it on the market, it is truly a unique gun.

The“MAKO Oceanic ETR” was designed by Chad Morris (aka Griswold) and Jeff DeRocher(aka Tin Man), two spearo/designers from the Bayous of Louisiana who spent years designing, machining and fabricating custom spearguns and related underwater hunting gear.

What is an Enclosed Track Railgun (ETR)?

By nature, Railguns are more accurate and more powerful than regular euro guns. This is because of the integrated rail barrel which supports and guides the spear down the rail(barrel) as it exits the gun. This additional support, by the integrated rail reduces “spear whip” and drastically increases accuracy.

The only way to improve upon this would be to incorporate an “Enclosed Track”, over the entire length of the barrel, thereby further increasing accuracy and allowing for enhanced power and virtually eliminating all “spear whip” as the spear exits the gun. With an “Enclosed Track”, the spear is supported not only from the bottom. The spear is also supported by the surrounding walls and partial ceiling offered by the“Enclosed Track”, much like a bullet fired from the barrel of a high powered rifle.

This design ensures that the shaft can do nothing else but to leave the enclosed track in a STRAIGHT line. The enclosed track also makes the gun extremely easy to load the shaft into the gun, because once the shaft is inserted, it “automatically” slides down the track when the gun is tipped upward (fast and easy).

Put simply, this is a very powerful railgun that shoots where you point it.

MAKO Oceanic ETR (Enclosed Track Railgun)

moetr_barrel2_dtl.jpgmoetr_barrel3_dtl.jpgmoetr_handle_dtl.jpg

I love MAKO - I have 2.

I stopped in 2 years ago on my way to NC for our anual 4th of July Dive trip and met the owner - we bought 4 guns. On the way back the following year, we brought another group of guys and left with 5 guns - Every one of those guys is more that pleased with their purchases!!!

Read the warrenty on his website - I dont think it can be beat.

Customer Service:

This too is a MUST READ!

I could spend hours on this subject trying to convey to you our thoughts as it relates to such an important subject. In short, here are my thoughts on customer service. First of all, I don’t even call it customer service. I call it “Buddy Service”. I would do anything for my buddies and I know for a fact that my buddies would do anything for me. Call it a guy thing, or call it whatever you want. If you hunt fish, you know what I am talking about and you don’t need me explaining it to you. Since I have so much in common with my customers, I consider them my buddies and I take care of my buddies.

great guns, great fins, and some of the best customer service I have seen in the both the freediving and SCUBA diving industries.
I plan on getting a new 5 mil suit from them in the spring.

Dano can’t write this, but I can. Because you will never find better people to buy from. Just Goggle spearfishing forums and you will see for yourself.

Thanks! We are looking forward to a great 2012.

We are constantly looking to expand and improve our product line and will be introducing some new products this Spring.

Do you guys still offer the 4 payment financing? I want a Mako Iconic Pro, but cant afford the full price at one time? I read somewhere on the forum about it, but can't find it on your website.

Thanks.

Do you guys still offer the 4 payment financing? I want a Mako Iconic Pro, but cant afford the full price at one time? I read somewhere on the forum about it, but can't find it on your website.

Thanks.

Thanks for the inquiry Jason!

Unfortunately, we were unable to continue our financing program.

Back
Top Bottom