Why aren't compatible 1st and 2nd stages sold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillAllbritten

Contributor
Reaction score
individually (excepting the case of the 2nd set up as an Octo), if they routinely pair the two items. I know they'd have to be checked (I guess), but the recent Oceanic CDX issue got me thinking (dangerous, that thinking stuff).

I looked at Oceanic's web site and the Alpha 7 2nd is being paired with another diaphragm 1st. Why can't I purchase the newer 1st for use with my older 2nd? I checked - a couple of dealers will only sell 1st's with 2nd's as sent from the factory.

I ran into the same thing with Mares - after a problem with my Epos 2nd, wanted to buy an Abyss 2nd stage to use with my V16 first - the V16, at that time, was packaged with both the Epos and Abyss. No go unless I bought the yellow jobbie, that'd work (got the Epos fixed OK) as I donate the 2nd stage normally in my mouth but just curious why a normally set up 2nd wasn't available. Again, I checked with a couple of LDS's. No cigar.

Probably an obvious answer but I'm missing it somewhere (Please, oh please, don't let it be "make more money this way" :-( )

I've never heard of such a policy. I've purchased 2nd stages separately. OTOH, I don't own any of the brands you mentioned.

I don't know for sure, but it may have something to do with:

1. The store only gets matched pairs, like gloves, you can't just go buy the left one, you need to buy the pair, what are the chances that the shop is going to be able to sell just a right hand glove to someone else, or just 1 fin...just a thought.

BUT....
1.a. This probably shouldn't be a problem if you wanted to wait a week for it, the shop should be able to order JUST the second stage....or JUST the 1st stage, or JUST the hose, etc.

1.b. This also shouldn't really be a problem for a store that does a decent ammount of sales. If they have a good sized customer base, they would eventually find someone that wants it, some gearhead, I would imagine.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
I don't know for sure, but it may have something to do with:

1. The store only gets matched pairs, like gloves, you can't just go buy the left one, you need to buy the pair, what are the chances that the shop is going to be able to sell just a right hand glove to someone else, or just 1 fin...just a thought.

BUT....
1.a. This probably shouldn't be a problem if you wanted to wait a week for it, the shop should be able to order JUST the second stage....or JUST the 1st stage, or JUST the hose, etc.

1.b. This also shouldn't really be a problem for a store that does a decent ammount of sales. If they have a good sized customer base, they would eventually find someone that wants it, some gearhead, I would imagine.

I even tried that angle to have a 2nd stage ordered & they said Cressi wouldn't sell individual 1st or 2nd stages.

Strange policy. I've never heard of that before. How would you for example get the backup second stage to match your primary second stage. I dive Oceanics and Apeks and it isn't a problem with them.

Dave D

Your just going to the wrong place. We can buy and will sell individual pieces. No big deal

Don't know about the brands mentioned but Sherwood puts the same serial numbers on their 1st and 2nd stages. Maybe that's why they sell in sets. Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom