Why all the features? I want a simple piece of equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I generally agree with you that many computers have far too many "features" the Dive Time is important.

Without any indication of Dive Time how do you know if the NDL time is reasonable?

Also helpful if the boat says "be back in 50 minutes". Personally l I find temp helpful as well.

The problem is your looking for a top of the line option - AI - in an otherwise bottom of the line dive PC, which defies logic (from a manufacturer's perspective) in the retail world. It's pretty hard to find a car, for example, with the top of the line engine but no leather, no sat-nav, no A/C, no sunroof, no alloy wheels, etc...

Sounds like you want an old Prodigy from Oceanic. Its as simple as it gets only no tank pressure and no back light. I got one I'd sell you for almost nothing!

With an indication of dive time, how do you know NDL is reasonable?

Past, similar dives with the same computer or other computers
Past, dissimilar dives with the same computer or other computers
Dive tables

Reasonable isn't about exact, but I know that if it claims that I have 0:20 remaining at 110' after already being down for 0:30 that somethings gone awry.

...So, you end up with a very simple computer that does only a few things, but costs just as much and uses power just as rapidly as a computer with more features.
I expect that what you are really asking for is the option to chose an interface that doesn't give you what you don't want, and is easy to use and easy to see. And that should certainly be possible to achieve by making the interface more customizable. Stay tuned- I doubt you are alone.

Understood.

And then in my case, I could ask for something whereas I can buy the base unit with what I want on it, and pay more later to unlock or download additional features if I felt I desired to have them. Similar to what some companies are doing yet that start off with fairly feature-rich base units to begin with.

I'm surprised no one said I could just buy a transmitter and dive with a buddy who has a computer that can read my tank pressure. Then, all I have to do is come up and ask him just the essentials I need. Otherwise I'm sure the duct tape idea would be a solid way to go :wink:

(yes, the last paragraph was an "attempt" at humor for those who would take it too seriously)

Take a entry level DC like the Sunnto Gekko. A feature on this computer is for altitude diving. How many entry level divers do you know that dive at altitude? How many divers do you know dive at altitude? Of course there is a space crowding icon on the screen to let me know it's setting. I don't care if this option increases the cost of the product 1%, although I suspect it's actually substantially more, I don't need it and could opt out of most of this crap.

The reason manufactures include these features is so the product can marketed at a higher profit margin.

Well, a lot of divers dive at altitude, particularly entry level divers who live at altitude, away from the ocean and train in lakes, rivers, or quarries.

But the point is that features like altitude compensation (and most of the other features the original poster doesn't want, like logbooks, planners, and multi-gas/ nitrox capability) add nothing- zero- to the manufacturing cost, and some divers want or need them. There is an initial cost to develop the software, which could be more or less depending on the complexity of the computer, but once that's done the ones and zeros are free, and add nothing to the manufacturing cost of each dive computer. In contrast, air integration, particularly hoseless, has a significant hardware cost tied to each unit.

Unfortunately, too little attention is often paid to good interface design, and these additional features are allowed to clutter and make the user's experience confusing by filling it with things they don't use. I see that as an interface design problem rather than a too many feature problem.

The reason manufacturer's include these features is that their customers ask for them, and while divers will often chose to not buy a product that lacks a feature they want, they will rarely turn away from a product because it has too many features.

Past, similar dives with the same computer or other computers
Past, dissimilar dives with the same computer or other computers
Dive tables

Reasonable isn't about exact, but I know that if it claims that I have 0:20 remaining at 110' after already being down for 0:30 that somethings gone awry.

But as I mentioned you are trusting the machine to fail in one respect (calculations) but be perfectly functioning in others (pressure sensing, time keeping). It's not more likely to fail in calculations because calculations are harder or whatever reasoning you are using.

Thinking you can keep track of what a computer 'should be reading' is silly. You cannot, period. Dive computers have to be treated as a black box. The only backup for a computer is another computer, not tables, not experience at a dive site, not experience with other computers, not experience with tables. A computer failure ends the dive, and ends the day of diving. You cannot dive the first dive of the day on a computer, and then switch to tables. You cannot dive the first half of a dive on a computer and then switch to tables. You cannot dive the first part of the dive on one computer and then switch to another computer for the second. You cannot use intuition or experience to out guess your computer. (Well you can but then why not just not spend the money on one, if you think you are smarter than it is?)

In the example you give of being down a 110 feet for 30 minutes and having 20 min remaining, what would you guess is failing? The pressure sensor? The timing part of the computer? The NDL algorithm calculator? Thinking you can trust the timing portion of the computer, and the depth sensor, but not the NDL calculator is silly. It's a black box. If it is failing, no info it gives you can be trusted. If you are carrying back up gauges, just carry a backup computer of a different brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom