Why a New Card...Again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am a little annoyed with all those cards... I suspect the rationale behind them was who would pay $25 for a sticker.... hmmm let's make it $30 and give them a Photo ID card. Then again, DM and Instructors also get stickers (active/inactive status) to put on to their cards, too bad my card never reached me. I have all these stickers, and too many cards to decide where to stick them.

The LDS where I took my OW, had the fee bundled in the course, the other shops offered the course for $30 cheaper, but the application fee was separate from the course. Same course, same price, same certification - which shop do you think got more students? I preferred the smaller class size and all costs up front.

Back to the OP, if I wasn't aware of the "processing fee" at the beginning of the course, I'd be ticked off too.

NetDoc:
Gee Walter... why call someone a liar? That may very well be the only way the instructor wants to run his classes.

Well, Pete, I didn't call anyone a liar. I said, "You have been told lies." There is a difference. There is also a difference between someone only wanting to run their classes a certain way and telling students the "agency requires it." One is honest and perfectly within an instructor's rights. The other is a lie.

NetDoc:
Why do we see people making money at instruction as a BAD thing?

We don't Pete. You are the only person I know who teaches at cost. I always tried to make a profit from teaching. Profits are good, they enable one to continue to teach.

NetDoc:
In my mind, we have our values mixed up. We spend far less than on any piece of gear or dve vacation. We really need to re-value how we are charging for our classes.

We're in complete agreement on that point. Classes should cost much more (assuming we are discussing a quality class).

RJP:
I wonder what the liability issues would be around "teaching" someone but not "certifying" them?

As long as you don't violate your agency's standards, they are exactly the same as if you did certify them, but they end as soon as the class ends instead of hanging over your head forever.

RJP:
"Please explain to the jury - and to the wife of the deceased - why you told Mr Jones he was qualified to do XXXXXX diving, but you did not actually certify Mr Jones as a XXXXXX diver."

Mr. Jones declined to be certified.

RJP:
Simple fix to your problem: Fail the test.

Do you only charge the certification fee after the student passes the test? That is an unusual method.

When you get a new C card, are all of your previous qualifications on the card? Why do I ask this question? Somehow, I managed to misplace all of my cards, and can't find except 1. And I am not going to spend no $30 for another card!

I just took a scuba equipment maintain/repair class and have another C card to pick up. It would be great if PADI list all of my other qualifications on it.

We don't Pete. You are the only person I know who teaches at cost.
So sue me! :D I make my money in other, more nefarious ways. :D

I agree with just giving a complete price and not even mentioning additional costs.
Heres the price, everything included.

fisherdvm:
When you get a new C card, are all of your previous qualifications on the card?

No.

NetDoc:
So sue me! I make my money in other, more nefarious ways.

I don't have a problem with that approach either.

I know people who like the cards. It makes them feel good. I think the shops should go back to to the patches for these folks.
I make my money in other, more nefarious ways. :D
That reminds me, Pete. Sorry, I forgot to send you the vig.

:D

I would say you were gonna "swim with the fishes", but what else is new? :D

"Swimming with the fishes" isn't much of a threat. Now SLEEPING with the fishes is another story!

gf42.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom