Why a full-face mask for public safety diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainPanda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Having a wander through online dive stores, I see a lot of full-face masks advertised for public safety divers. Why is a full-face mask the particular choice as opposed to the, let's say 'more conventional,' mask and reg setup?

Having a wander through online dive stores, I see a lot of full-face masks advertised for public safety divers. Why is a full-face mask the particular choice as opposed to the, let's say 'more conventional,' mask and reg setup?

seconding @lowwall and @tursiops but most of it is communications. They suck, necessary evil, but they suck

This ^^^^ plus possibility of contaminated water.

Plus one, on that contaminated water angle.

While collecting sediment samples in Oakland Harbor, a while back, something there -- perhaps, some polar solvent, aside from the perennially-nasty harbor water -- actually affected the polycarbonate visor of my full face mask. It later became crazed and required an expensive replacement; but I would rather it have damaged that poly visor of the mask, than my skin.

That was a new experience . . .

If you have ever been so unlucky as to encounter a body that has been immersed in warm salt water for 24 - 48 hours, you will unfortunately know all about the contaminated water aspect. The communications part will help alert the surface crew as to your "discovery".

Moral of story, Deep respect for those whose job it is to perform such difficult tasks, also learned one of my limitations.

Also good for cold water and ice diving.
Not when you use a Kirby-Morgan or AGA FFM, the ice cold air coming in over your forehead and flowing down across your face does a wonderful job of making you ice-cold. Been there, done that - and learned my lesson. If the air doesn't flow across your face the mask fogs up quickly and you now can't see what you are doing.

Michael

Not when you use a Kirby-Morgan or AGA FFM, the ice cold air coming in over your forehead and flowing down across your face does a wonderful job of making you ice-cold. Been there, done that - and learned my lesson. If the air doesn't flow across your face the mask fogs up quickly and you now can't see what you are doing.

Michael
Ultimately, there is no free lunch -- and diving of any sort, will never be like riding out a Sunday on the Barcalounger, catching a game.

I have used a positive pressure (or over-pressure) full face mask for years, in some very cold to freezing environments; and true, that air circulating across ones' face can be the cool side; but it is certainly not the same hit, not even in the same ballpark, as the bluish, numbed lips and face -- and the real concern of losing a mouthpiece, that I recalled, when I was ice-diving, as a teenager . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom