Who's yer buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver:
In my cavern course they teach that a light signal can be done on the wall and returned on the wall to prevent a diver from turning to ask OK.the way it works is very easy. The same signals are used,circle for OK,Slow back and forth for attention, fast back and forth for emergency. All of these signals are returned on the same wall as the guestion signal. this way the team keeps moving unless they really need to stop and help a member of the team.
I understand and agree with the obligation to return ok signals. Do you really return the emergency signal? I would think that instead of returning the emergency signal, that you go ahead and deal with the emergency - the first reaction being to deploy your primary.

novadiver:
In my cavern course they teach that a light signal can be done on the wall and returned on the wall to prevent a diver from turning to ask OK.the way it works is very easy. The same signals are used,circle for OK,Slow back and forth for attention, fast back and forth for emergency. All of these signals are returned on the same wall as the guestion signal. this way the team keeps moving unless they really need to stop and help a member of the team.

How often do you signal the OK just to check if things are indeed OK (non-emergency)?

WJL:
I understand and agree with the obligation to return ok signals. Do you really return the emergency signal? I would think that instead of returning the emergency signal, that you go ahead and deal with the emergency - the first reaction being to deploy your primary.

You are correct, the emergency is delt with first.the signal is done on the wall to avoid blinding other divers.

do it easy:
How often do you signal the OK just to check if things are indeed OK (non-emergency)?

By watching the other divers light I can tell if things are going acording to plan. I signal OK after any change, depth, direction, hitting 1/3rds , restictions, ascent and at deep stops.

As a new diver you might want to get one of those underwater signaling devices for you and your buddy. they could help.

novadiver:
As a new diver you might want to get one of those underwater signaling devices for you and your buddy. they could help.

Do you mean one of those underwater duck calls? I'm not a big fan of those. I have a whistle and that's about it. Of course it won't work underwater, but it will signal a dive boat, etc.

Underwater signalling device? That's what a light is for.

jonnythan:
Of course, this doesn't mean hold hands or ask OK every minute, but it does mean try to swim shoulder to shoulder, keey a watchful eye on each other, and never put yourself in a position where your buddy cannot get your full attention *immediately*.

The films I've seen of JJ and GI3 going through caves has showed them separated by up to probably 20 feet (IIRC). They were obviously in very good visual and light contact with each other, but they weren't right on top of each other either.

Now that viz around here is more than 6 inches, I've been trying to get more comfortable with a little more distance, and not necessarily always be able to reach out and physically touch my buddy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom