Whos who in SCUBA Diving -- 1993 book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It's been 28 years (1993-2021) since the publication of the book Whos who in SCUBA Diving
which celebrated and recognized the "Golden Anniversary," !50 years (1943 -1993) of SCUBA Diving
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Book:
"Who’s who in SCUBA DIVING"

The golden anniversary of SCUBA Diving

Academy of Marine science and undersea research
Author - Harry Backstein
1993-Best Publications
Paperback
436 pages
First edition- ISBN 0-941332-28-4

Nine Sections:
1) Individuals
2) Agencies, Associations Foundations and Institutions
3) Equipment manufactures
4) Publishers and Magazines
5) Destinations and resorts
6) Travel agents- specializing in dive travel
7) Retail dive stores in US
8) Commercial divers, commercial diving schools
9) Recipients of Major awards in diving

All the sections are extremely interesting. List most of the pioneer movers and shakers of the genesis – the first 50 years of SCUBA diving
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In section 1 Individuals -- most have departed from the diving world or are now diving on the big reef in the sky. But--
Question? is there any one currently on the SCUBA Board who was listed in Whos who ?

In section
7) Retail dive stores in US
A review of the dive stores in SoCal that I was familiar only a few that remain and all with new owners.
Question? How about other areas of the US ? Any dive shops Pre 1993 who were listed still open?

The book was printed on very cheap paper the type commonly used in printing newspaper, therefore a short life span. I have two copies one autographed by the author which has been protected in my library shelf and another working copy which is self-destructing due to use and age

Sam Miller III

DD
Quote Reply

Attachments

• 1638368940725.png
    1638368940725.png
    140 KB · Views: 105
Hi Sam,

Ocean Enterprises in San Diego comes to mind - they started in 1979 and have had a few locations over the years. I forget when they got the Balboa store but I think it was pre '93.

Best,
Derek

All SoCal, Black Barts, Lyle Hoskins, Aquatic Center (2), Laguna Seaports, Certified Divers, Dive' N Surf, San Diego Divers Supply, The Bottom Shop, The Diving Locker, International Diving, Alta Sport, Sunland Sports, Tex's Sporting Goods, just some of them.

I remember when I was called "Young Upstart" in the Scuba business 32 years ago (sigh). Yes, I'm in the book, as well as my company. Still hangin' in there:thumb:. Scott Mele

I become YMCA Certified in 1962 and started a dive shop with a friend in 1979 called "Skin N' Scuba" in Oil City, PA, of all places. I was certified as a YMCS Instructor in the same year and have been diving ever since. I have some of the original US Diver Catalogues from 1960 and 1961.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom