Who was the second person to eat Sea Cucumber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey Everyone, I'm back...

More adventures with the inlaws this year. They live down in Okayama, nestled between a vast expanse of rice fields and the mountains. It's a beautiful place, really.

Each year upon our return, I am reminded of my "drink scale" related to exotic food consumption. My mother-in-law is a wonderful cook and prepares a wide variety of traditional, healthy dishes. That being said, she still manages to slip in a few each year that challeng my pallet, even after 10 years of residence here.

The "drink scale" is the number of alcoholic beverages that are required to be consumed before I am able to consume a food in question. Soem foods may start off as a 2 or 3 beer food, but then move on to become a zero on the scale, requiring no alcoholic promer at all. Other foods, however, are effectively off the scale-meaning no amount of alcohol can get me to eat.

This year, I was reminded of an off the scale item. My father-in-law likes to eat tuna eyes sometimes. I could get by a small fish eye, but thes mondeters are about the size of a golf ball - sorry off the scale. I'd have to be in an unconscious stupor before you could get one of those in my mouth. At least they are cooked...

Sea Cucumber would normally be off the scale, but my father-in-law was so insistent this year that was not able to refuse. Sea Cucumber (namako), in my estimation, is an animal that is clearly not meant to be eaten. there should be no debateon this. It has all the right negative signals, especially when examined raw: lowly reputation on the food chain, unappetizing color scheme, slimy outer surface, and a nasty combination of chewy/crunchiness that defies all gastronomic logic.

I can understand that one culinary adventurerer went for it on first sight; it was bound to happen. Obviously he had to have a bad first experience, so who was the second poor soul, especially after witnessing the first guy's obvious lack of delight?

Anyway, when the plate was unforgivingly thrust in front of me, I began kicking back the sake and tried to let those slimy little pieces slide down while to avoid the unpleasnat feeling of chewing the gummy mass. Despite how unpleasant my face must have looked, I guess I must have eaten it quickly enough to look as if I had enjoyed it, because my emply dish all glistening with slime was eagerly replaced by another heaping plate of the gelatinous mass, father-in-law grinning ear to ear.

By the end of that meal (and all the sake required to finish it), I looked (and felt) worse than the Sea Cucumber...

He-he. Nice story.

I am ok with Namako. My colleagues always gave me all the eye-balls saying it was helthy for me...

Thomas

TJO:
I am ok with Namako. My colleagues always gave me all the eye-balls saying it was helthy for me...
Sea cucumbers don't have eyeballs. I shudder to think what you were really eating, if your buddies tried to hawk it on you as a cucumber.

archman:
Sea cucumbers don't have eyeballs. I shudder to think what you were really eating, if your buddies tried to hawk it on you as a cucumber.
I think that you misunderstood that one! The eyeballs are from Tuna - sea-cucumber is a little different. My attitude to most food in Japan is don't ask. I let people know that I will not eat horse or whale/dolphin and would be extremely angry if someone tricked me into it. Other than that I often don't know exactly what it is I'm eating. The only two things that I know I really don't like are Nato (stinks!!!) and that orange sea-urchin stuff that you often get on the Sashimi plate.

Er, so is "namako" the tuna or the cucumber? And what's the japanese name for the other one?

Namako would be the Sea Cucumber. If I remember correctly the Tuna eyes would be something like 'Maguro no me'. (If I remembered the correct Japanese for Tuna!)

namako = sea cucumber I am ok
maguro no me = tuna eyes I was offered but did not eat

jagfish:
Sorry, the eyes were from Tuna. If Sea Cucumber had eyes that big, no amount of money, sex or fame could get it in my mouth...

Are you sure Jim? I have no problems getting my Sea Cucumber in :dazzler1:

dcpac:
Are you sure Jim? I have no problems getting my Sea Cucumber in :dazzler1:
LOL!!!
I have a classic reply to this joke, but it falls well outside the TOS :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom