Who Uses their SMB and Deploys it At Depth Before Ascending to the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry one with me on all boat dives. For that matter, I always carry a signalling mirror in my BC pocket as well for all boat dives. But, although I know how to inflate the SMB it is unusal for California to shoot one to the surface on a reel.

For beach dives there are buoys that mark the coast where boats are not permitted. As long as you are close enough to shore the is very little concern about boat traffic. That being said, we did hear a story from the dive club about a lifeguard boat that went overhead. At the rate of speed they were going doubtful they would have noticed an SMB and it would not be their usual or customary practice to be alert for one either. Essentially we make sure we have at least 1200 PSI at the turn around to ensure we have enough air to get back to the beach under potential boat traffic, or even 1400 to 1600 depending on the location. Most divers don't dive with a flotation dive flag either, and local regulations to not require one except for boats.

I recall an episode in grade school once when a police officer asked who thought a cross walk protected you while walking across the street. After I had raised my hand, along with a majority of my classmates, he then proceeded to tell us that the cross walk does not protect you if the driver does not see you. They are painted lines on the street, not rail guards designed to stop a car. He then said it was our responsibility as a pedestrian to look out for cars.

A SMB may mark your location, and will help aid in spotting you when you need to get picked up, but will not protect you from a captain who does not notice and doesn't see it in the water. As Dan pointed out, you have to be aware of your surroundings and when diving in areas where there is boat traffic also keep an ear out for the sound of a boat motor.

Last edited:
We carry them on every ocean dive, and will use them if we get separated from the DM with the marker. They are for your boat to find you, not to alert a drunk boater to your presence. Even commercial fishermen/charter captains often have no idea what they are, as was proven to me once while on a fishing charter.

Many divers can't deploy them from depth. It isn't covered in 'ye typical 3-4 day OW course' and many divers never dive independently, so give the duty to the guide.

SMB deployment isn't difficult but there is a right/wrong way to do it (Youtube for both versions). However your buoyancy control must be second nature.

I agree that in areas of heavy boat traffic, they're lures rather than repellants. Surface with caution.

Every time I am coming up to be picked up from a live boat and not on a guided dive. If on a guided dive, I'm paying the guide to carry a surface marker. If I lose the group, I shoot my own.

Same here. I usually am with the guide, or I'm carrying my own flag. I never dive open water without some kind of marker.

Ive tried deploying a DSMB from the shallows a couple of times but never actually dived with one. Generally I dive in areas without much boat traffic so don't have to worry about that. If I dive off a boat its nearly always with a dive club from a Rhib so they put up an A flag and keep any boats away. I have dived with an SMB (An old reel with a small float on it) which we use when searching for wrecks so we can tie the SMB onto it for the rest of the group to follow.

If we have to make a vertical ascent we still use the old following the smallest bubble trick, saves us having to faff with lines! I must admit though there have been a few instances where the water has been so dark and muddy its been impossible to see the bubbles, or even the gauges. In those instances it would have been nice to have something I could deploy, but overall the effort of keeping suitably in practice with deploying it and carrying it around for me isn't worth it for the once or so a year when it might come in handy.

it depends on the dive. if it's a drift, it either gets deployed when you hit the bottom, or before you leave the boat (and just unwind spool or reel as you descend). Most wrecks, you deploy before you start your ascent as the tide generally begins to run again and the boat needs to know where you're going. There are a couple of shallow, permanently shotted wrecks where you can ascend on the shot and the skippers are okay with that. They actually prefer it as they don't have to go chasing divers!

When I do deploy, it is always from depth, normally an informal deep stop. It easier to manage at depth and bouncing up 10 feet at 50' is not an issue, at 20' it not so good. Normal boat diving and beach diving, I don't need it. When drift diving or I get lost (and I have), then I want the line for a reference. I also knot the line so I know my depth without the computer. The visual warning to boaters is secondary, I still need to listen and proceed with caution and I can't count on the SMB being fully erect and vertical all the time. It's really a nice feeling to have a good marker, not to mention a light and mirror in case I get separated from the boat or drift in a current offshore.

What about a very slow boat approaching? The question would be why would they be going slow way out over a reef? In any event, the diver skill that is critical here, is the LISTENING SKILL. That at the 20 to 10 foot stop, the divers are listening for boats, and gauging how busy the surface is with boaters.

The skill needed, is knowledge of what the doppler shift sound is like, that differentiates a boat coming toward you--from one motoring away from you....and the skill in deciding if the boat noise you hear is a boat that is very close, or a very long way away.

A yacht under sail is silent*. I wouldn't rely on listening nor would I advocate making myself negatively buoyant before making a fast ascent.

dSMB deployment from depth is pretty much the standard here in the UK when not ascending a shotline. We also use live boats and most skippers are pretty pro-active in fending off approaching vessels.

*so is a rowing eight, a discovery that lead me to abandon "listening" for surface traffic as a reliable method for ensuring nothing was about before ascending nearly 30 years ago.

On most dive boats I know in Europe the SMB is an emergency signal unless it's mentioned in briefing that it is something else, like a practice or it's mandotary because of drift dive etc.

So I always deploy mine if it's already known by the crew/captain.

I see the smb ONLY as a visual aid for THE Dive Boat you are diving off of, to keep track of it's divers with....just like a towed float on a drift dive. This is the ONE BOAT that will care about the smb, and actually see it with reliability.

The OP and most of the divers learning the SMB deployment skill, seem to think the SMB will magically ward off errant boaters that would otherwise cross over your head at full speed....This is seriously defective thinking.
And I say your thinking is seriously lacking perspective outside of the enviroment in wich you do most your diving.
In certain areas people actually DO know what a SMB is and to stay away from it and WHEN you deploy it, unless its got distinct markings, you will have SEVERAL boats looking out for what IDENTIFYING ok signal you give when you surface. Last time I came up after having shot mine there was no less than three zodiacs and four larger dive boats looking at me awaiting my pickup signal.. <o/

Wether people know to stay away from the SMB and wether or not its a distress signal only is highly specific to where you are - and as such you should not only carry one incase you need it, you should also be informed about the local practices (and responses) to using one..

Back
Top Bottom