Who to do Cavern With in Tuluum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
TSandM and I are thinking about going back to the Tuluum area in October to pleay around in the Cenotes some more. While there we'd like to take Cavern and need the Board's help in finding a Cavern instructor whose instruction would dovetail nicely with TSandM's desire to take GUE Cave 1 next spring. Me, I think I'd like to do Cavern and then Intro do Cave.

We are having some email difficulties with the folks at Zero Gravity so I'm hoping y'all have some suggested instructors.

Peter Guy:
TSandM and I are thinking about going back to the Tuluum area in October to pleay around in the Cenotes some more. While there we'd like to take Cavern and need the Board's help in finding a Cavern instructor whose instruction would dovetail nicely with TSandM's desire to take GUE Cave 1 next spring. Me, I think I'd like to do Cavern and then Intro do Cave.

We are having some email difficulties with the folks at Zero Gravity so I'm hoping y'all have some suggested instructors.

Since you're posting in the DIR forum you must be looking for a DIR answer. Zero Gravity. Period. Unless you're one of those "anybody will do" types. Then I would suggest to post your question in the general "Caving" area.

You might try Fernando Davila Nelson at www.divetulum.com. Many of our friends have gone to him and have not been disappointed. He runs a solid class. I have been on many dives with him, he knows the caves.

Dennis Weeks is also a cavern instructor. He is at Aquanauts in Puerto. He is on scubaboard also, diablodiver is his name on the board.

Karen

Thanks. The reason this is in the DIR forum is that, although the idea of doing a cavern class first as a "small bite" out of cave training appeals to me, I don't want to take a class and have to relearn a bunch of stuff. I know the ZG people used to teach NACD classes, but they don't any more. We're looking for the most DIR-like cavern teaching we can find, to keep everything consistent.

I'd still recommend Fernando. He's right in Tulum.
We use him for tank rentals and have done a couple of photo shoots with him. He has instructed several of our friends. He was Steve Ash's instructor as well so you can PM him for an opinion as well.

TSandM:
Thanks. The reason this is in the DIR forum is that, although the idea of doing a cavern class first as a "small bite" out of cave training appeals to me, I don't want to take a class and have to relearn a bunch of stuff. I know the ZG people used to teach NACD classes, but they don't any more. We're looking for the most DIR-like cavern teaching we can find, to keep everything consistent.

The question then becomes, are you going to do cavern in singles and doubles. This could have a big impact on the stuff that you might need to relearn.

Talk to ae3753 (on Scubaboard), He and his wife took NCAD cavern/intro to cave (are in the planning stages of going back to take full). Both of them are pretty DIR even if they wont admit it.

Kevin

I would think that much of what is taught by both agencies would be very similar.

NACD or GUE, a good instructor will focus on proper trim, buoyancy and propulsion techniques, DIR gear configuration, team skills, communication, and awareness, as well as cave specific stuff like rules and limits, accident analysis, reel work, and line navigation techniques.

Lynne and I have talked at length about this and I find it very interesting. I would be interested in hearing from you guys and gals that have trained and/or dived with BOTH the Zero Gravity boys and some of the NACD instructors like Bil. I would really like to hear from those of you that know Fernando.

Finding out who is a good instructor down there is easy... most everyone knows who they are. But, I suspect only the folks around here with a LOT of Tulum Time would have any idea which one of these guys teach most "DIR-like".

KMD:
The question then becomes, are you going to do cavern in singles and doubles. This could have a big impact on the stuff that you might need to relearn.

I know that Fernando prefers to do Cavern in doubles for anyone that is serious about moving on to Intro and Full... I believe Bil does, as well... though I'm not sure about that.

KMD:

Talk to ae3753 (on Scubaboard), He and his wife took NCAD cavern/intro to cave (are in the planning stages of going back to take full). Both of them are pretty DIR even if they wont admit it.

Kevin

If you have ANY inclination of doing full cave at ANY time in the future, there is no question but to do cavern in doubles.
Lynn is quite proficient in doubles that considering doing it in a single is even part of the equation for her I would think.

I have only dove with Danny, Chris and Fernando while in Tulum but I have run into many of the other instructors at various dive sites. You dont have to dive with them to know if they are DIR oriented or not...just look at their gear configuration. Yes, they all have 7ft hoses and seconds around their neck...thats standard cave gear, not just DIR. The difference seems to be in the small things...what hand is their light in, where are their arrows clipped off, spring heels? jet fins or paddle fins? if you have taken any GUE classes you will quickly pick out the differences.

I dont know Lynn personally...only by reputation... Lynn you're probably more ready than you think you are.....jump into Cave 1! One of your Rectriox team (the outofstate guys) did Cave1 with the ZG boys a month or so after the Rect. class. He passed...contact him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom