Who should I listen to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ARDory

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
For Christmas I got scuba lessons and a padi crew pack and classes start march 25th, which included a DVD. Couldn't wait till march and watched the DVD. The DVD stated I should not ascend faster than 60 feet per minute. My boyfriend that bought me the scuba lessons said that was wrong and I should not ascend faster than 30 feet per minute. But also said, I should just answer the questions on the test the way they want to pass the test. He said after certification we will use 30 feet per minute ascents. Who should I listen to?

No, his certification is master scuba diver. He is taking tech courses, and I think he knows what he's talking about

30 feet per minute is a "standard" used today by most training agencies.....in the 60's and 70's and into at least the 80's, the norm was 60 feet per minute instead.
I do not believe there was ever a huge correlation to justify the FEAR that 60 foot per minute was somehow dangerous, and that 30 feet per minute was going to change the incidence of DCS drastically.....but it could be that the percentage of divers with medical problems such as PFO's and poor circulation, may in fact be less susceptible to DCS given the slower ascent rate....and adding the safety stop at 10 or 20 feet is likely to do even more good.

So.. listen to your boyfriend and do the 30 feet per minute ascent for test and actual practice. But "know" that this is a difference in safety margin more than absolute safety.

How about both are right. 60 fpm if you are writing the tables based exam, or whatever your computer tells you if writing the computer based exam. Which is 30fpm for my suunto, my x1 thinks I'm smart enough to figure it out myself.

So, as a new diver what would you recommend as a safe ascend?

It's been shown that an ascent rate of about 30 feet per minute is, in theory, best practice for the prevention of DCS. Slower than that and you risk additional "on gassing" because you come up too slowly, faster than that and you "off gas" at a higher rate. 60 feet per minute is considered to be the maximum safe rate for any ascent.

The short answer is they're both right, but studies show 30 feet per minute is better.

Sources (read these if you want to impress your instructor :wink: ) :
http://www.daneurope.org/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=13501&name=DLFE-133.pdf
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/3804/15485086.pdf?sequence=3

So, the science here isn't at all "science" in any way you care to think of science. They're guesses based off of statistical data. Your smallest bubbles ascend at approximately 60fpm. When you're deeper, this is more okay as the gradient isn't as severe. Basically, the change in pressure per foot is the same....but the PERCENT change is less the deeper you go.

This might be too much, but I'll try to make it simple in the Beginners section:
Different parts of your body absorb nitrogen at different rates. These parts are called "compartments" and represent different types of tissues. Some are fast, and they absorb and exhaust nitrogen quickly. You also have slow compartments, which do so much slower. Getting bent is (basically) from there being too much of a difference between absorbed nitrogen and the nitrogen you'd have at a shallower depth (or the surface). So, if you ascend too quickly your fast compartments will cause you to get bent. If you ascend too slowly, your slow compartments will keep absorbing nitrogen and could cause you to get bent.

Long, complicated story made short and simple: 60fpm was the most cited figure. 30fpm is becoming cited more frequently, especially in Tech diving. My dive computer "limits" me to 60fpm below 30ft and 30fpm shallower than 30ft. This is what I try to follow. The reason nobody can give you a GOOD answer is because the only thing we know about dive physiology is that we know squat. I wrote up a (I think) cool article on this using other people's analogies. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is. It might be a little complicated, but the point is nobody knows....but we THINK we understand some of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom