Who or What Inspired You to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm no spring chicken, but believe it or not, it was my parents who, only a few years ago, inspired me to dive. That, and a family reunion trip to the Great Barrier Reef.

I snorkeled for a great many years, and had lots of fun doing it, but never ever considered scuba. Then my parents, who were in their mid 60s, decided to get certified in preparation for the trip to the GBR. My father got his C-card. My mother's open water dives were in not so great conditions, choppy water, wind, current, and got she tired out on the surface swim, so didn't get her C-card, but the thought occured to me: if they can do it, why can't I? And so I did.

Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) on Sea Hunt

Was travelling in central america ended up in a place called Utila. Went snorkelling but it just was not good enough. Always loves the water and those dive instructors were so cool and scored all the time (the female ones and the male ones). I liked the lifestyle, travel the world, get to see all the warm tropical places and dive. Was DM by the time I left Utila (planned to stay 2 weeks ended up living there for 9 months) never looked back from there. Comming home to Canada and being able to dive was epic. Plus I've met some of the most solid people from the industry.

When I was a kid there was a book in my dad's office....... this really old leatherbound encyclopedia with prints reminiscent of Audubon's bird prints. But they were drawings of fish and giant clams and octopi. I just always wanted to see the stuff first-hand.

Mike Nelson, and Jacques-Yves Cousteau. Dove for the first time in 1978, didn't get certified till '95.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom