Who or What Inspired You to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you who know him or heard of his company (Jewerly from the Sea) ROBERT STRAIGHT .... I lived one house down from his mother for over 25 years ... He's one of the greatest guy's you ever want to know and one heck of a diver ....

Some of the things that inspired me to dive were

Cousteau and his Undersea World
Robert Marx and his Treasure Diving books and exploits
Argosy magazine and all their stories of Florida treasure diving in the 60's
Sea Hunt
Everything the library had on oceanography, Darwins "Voyage of the Beagle", Beebe, Sea lab, etc

I started out with a mask fins and snorkel around the age of 7 and did freediving for the next 14 years. When I got out of the Air Force I went through a marine technician program, became an oceanographic tech and traveled the world, diving in a lot of places.

I was sitting on the beach, starring into the blue abyss, when all of a sudden a mermaid appeared. She was stunning, long curly blond hair, and the bluest eyes. She asked me to join her on her travels......never seen her since.

Friends introduced me and I like the adventure aspects. First trip to Cozumel sealed the deal.

For me it was watching the old "Sea Hunt" series when I was a kid and to some extent the Cousteau specials.

Queen:
A combination of "Sea Hunt" and the Cousteau shows when I was a kid. Couldn't WAIT to be old enough to take the class!!

Ditto!!

Hey, Queen, central IL is my neck of the woods. Wanna dive some time? Or do I already know you?

theskull

Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) - "Sea Hunt"

I want me wonna them big blades !!!! (Just kidding)

For me, I had always said that I'd like to learn how to dive, just because it looked like a fun thing to do, but I never did anything about it (bit like saying that you want to jump out of a plane but never do!) Then I met this lady who was nothing like what I imagined a diver would be like. I thought, "if she can do it, I can do it" and that was that - I booked into my OW class and haven't stopped since! I think I get nitrogen withdrawls if I don't go diving at least once a fortnight :)

Mel

Well...the first time I thought about it was back when I was about 13 or 14 and I read the Jaws, then The Deep (then subsequently saw the movies) The Deep inspired me to snorkel in my 3-4' backyard pool...but never got any further than that.

I always seemed to gravitate towards the water, but never really got the urge to dive until I was on my honeymoon in St. Lucia. (circa 1993) I saw that the resort offered a course, but after talking to the DM realized that I was way too out of shape (and being a heavy smoker at the time) decided that I would have to pass.

Fast forward to October 2003, on a trip to Key West, I decided prior that I was going to invest in some snorkelling gear and go out to the reef. Since I have a friend that lives there, I figured that I would get a lot of use on our many planned trips. Once out on the reef, I was wishing I could be down closer, I tried to free dive, but didn't get far... A little later on the trip, I saw a bunch of divers off to the left of where we were snorkelling, and thought.."I can do that!" SO being in much better shape than on my honeymoon, and being about 7-8 years removed as a smoker I started to get ideas to get certified.

With the push of a friend that I spoke to on the phone through work quite often (who I found out was a scuba instructor) I started reading an old PADI manual she sent down and we tried to figure out a time where she could teach me. As it happened, we could never lock into a weekend where there was a pool available (the plan was to do a weekend or two, then do my certification dives the next time I was in the Keys)

So I started to look for a place in my area. The one existing shop had just completed their courses and weren't starting again for another month or two (on days that would be tough to schedule) SO I figured that I would just have to wait until it suited me (it wasn't going anywhere)

On a trip through town, I noticed a sign that resembled a diver down flag (but figured that it was the sign of a local realtor that resembled a dive flag) On the way back, I slowed down and BAM it WAS a new dive shop... so I had my wife copy down the URL and checked it out when I got home. I read that it was a brand new shop that was officially opening in a week! So I fired off an email with my intentions and waited for a reply. The next day I was invited to try their free Discover Scuba Course at their grand opening.

OF course being early June, it was cold (and raining) but I had to do it! From there I was hooked! Set up my classes, passed my final with 100% and waited a few weeks to do my quarry dives (oh, I forgot...in between the first and 2nd class, I was going to Florida for a few days, my wife went to a seminar, and I basked. since we were in SOUTH Florida, we decided to run down to KW for a quick visit, SO I scheduled a resort course and did two dives!)

Anyway... I passed my OW dives with flying colors and there you have it! (Instant dive freak!) In the course of one year I went from wannbe to certified!

The next step came in November when I did a trip and now I'm going back to KW and setting up THREE trips!

I'm hooked!

Back
Top Bottom