Who is on Little Cayman right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How is the diving there this week? We are currently at Grand Cayman and we were told that it is too rough to dive on Little Cayman this week.

Last edited:
I guess if it was too rough to get the boats out the channel on the south side, I could see that, but I think it is more likely that they are saying it is too rough to dive the Bloody Bay Wall on the north side. It is pretty rare when it is too rough to dive anywhere on LC. Are you on the Aggressor or something? If so, they may be saying it isn't worth the rough crossing if the north side is blown out.

Update: I just looked at the Little Cayman Research Center buoy (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=lciy2) and the wind has been blowing out of the N, NE, or ENE for several days now, and has been ENE at 20+ knots since early this morning. That would certainly blow out diving on the North side and would make a crossing from GC rough and slow.

Thanks Aggie. I should have clarified and said Bloody Bay Wall and the north side. That is what I meant.

We went to the North "Bloody Bay" every day except for Monday with Southern Cross Club. Other dive shops did not go up North until yesterday(since last Sunday). It was rough but I am glad we got to go most every day.

Yeah, we got to Bloody Bay on Sunday and then didn't again until Friday. It was kind of a bummer, but I guess it gives us a good reason to return. We were diving with Reef divers and a few times we attempted to go around to the North and the Captains called it and headed back to the South side. When pressed by divers on the boat as to why it appeared that other ops were still diving the North they explained that it was pretty rough and that the other operators were putting less divers in the water which makes it more manageable.

I've got no beef with Reef Divers, but it is definitely a consideration that by choosing a different operator you may have more of a chance to dive the North even with the shifted winds.

Yeah, we got to Bloody Bay on Sunday and then didn't again until Friday. It was kind of a bummer, but I guess it gives us a good reason to return. We were diving with Reef divers and a few times we attempted to go around to the North and the Captains called it and headed back to the South side. When pressed by divers on the boat as to why it appeared that other ops were still diving the North they explained that it was pretty rough and that the other operators were putting less divers in the water which makes it more manageable.

I've got no beef with Reef Divers, but it is definitely a consideration that by choosing a different operator you may have more of a chance to dive the North even with the shifted winds.

It's true, our boats were not as full as the LCBR boats (another plus for Southern Cross Club). I just felt bad for the LCBR guests who paid all of that money to see Bloody Bay Wall and to barely see it. Once the boat got around the point and headed further north the seas were a bit calmer. It looked like the LCBR boats turned around too quickly. I have to say it was a challenge getting back on the boat a few of those days, but well worth the bruised shin.

I'm just glad that I got 17 dives on the North side the last time we visited. I would have gladly accepted the challenge and bruised shins, but I don't know if other divers on our boat or at the resort would have been up for it, that may have played a role in the overall decision for the op.

I'm just glad that I got 17 dives on the North side the last time we visited. I would have gladly accepted the challenge and bruised shins, but I don't know if other divers on our boat or at the resort would have been up for it, that may have played a role in the overall decision for the op.

yeah, we picked up a group from LCBR in the water on the 1st Sunday around the north side after their boat had an emergency. I saw that 3 of those divers were seasick so they would have had difficulty on other days up north as well. It was worth a few chums over the side of the boat for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom