• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Who invented the first backplate and wing?

Discussion in 'Hogarthian Diving' started by Jorbar1551, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    After reading the article and reviewing drawings posted by H20Andy I was surprised at the simularity of the 1960 Sea Craft model and the Flanagan model. They were like kissing cousins. Same general configeration, same material, simular number of holes and attatchment points, the only perceiveable difference are the bends in the middle which sets the Flanagan model apart.

There was 19 years seperating the introduction of the two units and the bends certainly represented a 10 percent design change, therefore it was an improvement on existing Sea Craft model, and certainly did not violate the patent, which had ran out.

I also reviewed the CV of most of the respondents. Now I understand your reluctance in accepting that the Sea Craft had developed a unit way back in 1960, most of you were not born 47 years ago, if you were you certainly not old enough to be involved in the sport, I also note some of you have only a miminal number dives, yet you post with great authority. Other than H20Andy no one has provided no documentation other than I think, I believe, I heard, I suspose ...This is certainly not historically acceptable.

This is my last post on this subject. Prior to responding may I suggest that you goggle my name in relation to SCUBA. I think you might discover that I have a certain amount of validity in the post and comments I have made.

Mike, I note that you make knives--I would be interested in a hunting knife for my son, how about an off line contact?

Cheers from California, where it all began..

SDM

2. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

JFYI, Dr. Sam Miller is an authority on diving, diving history and is one of the noted grandfathers of the sport. N

3. H2Andy

H2Andy Blue Whale

# of Dives: 200 - 499

certainly. there is no question of that.

them's fighting words, Sam

:wink:

4. Thalassamania

Thalassamania Diving Polymath ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Only posting because the link is now gone, don't think that I disagree with Sam.

5. Jaques-Yves Costco

Jaques-Yves Costco Angel Fish