Who does the best out of town dive trips in DFW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DalTexDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving with my current LDS for a couple of years and they seem to have fewer and fewer trips that I either can afford or want to take.

In the opinion of the group, who does the best trips? Whose are most affordable? Whose are the most fun? :06:

Well that is a difficult question. Most LDS add in 100 bucks or so per diver to afford one or more of them to go. Of course they make all the arrangements and take care of any trip problems that may come up.

If you are trying to save some bucks and go where you want to go you will need to book your own trips or find a group of people to get together and book your own trips.

Sometimes resorts will give you a deal like if 8 people book one goes free deal which you can split between the group for a better discount.

I have done both and it works out well. I guess I didn't really answer you question just giving my 2 cents. :D

Agree with all points. I have done that too but like to go with a group of new people sometimes and have someone deal with the issues that always come up. Just looking get some alternatives.

parrotheaddiver:
Well that is a difficult question. Most LDS add in 100 bucks or so per diver to afford one or more of them to go. Of course they make all the arrangements and take care of any trip problems that may come up.

If you are trying to save some bucks and go where you want to go you will need to book your own trips or find a group of people to get together and book your own trips.

Sometimes resorts will give you a deal like if 8 people book one goes free deal which you can split between the group for a better discount.

I have done both and it works out well. I guess I didn't really answer you question just giving my 2 cents. :D

When I live there I use to go with Tuckers in Grand Prairie, and Arlington Scuba Tom Cummings is the owner and his dad certified me in 1977. I moved from there 10 yrs ago.

There is a group in Houston that have a trip going to CoCo View in Roatan in May. We might hook up with them and they are a fun group. http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=67534&s=

We are going to meet up with a bunch this weekend at CSSP http://www.scubaboard.com/t69798-cssp-labor-day-weekend.html you are welcome to come along. Most of us have never met except on this board.

When we were first certified, I enjoyed the shop organized trips but as time went by and we developed our own preferences for boat sizes, group sizes, dive schedules, etc. I started planning and arranging our own trips, sometimes cheaper than the shop, sometimes not. As parrotheaddiver pointed out, not only do most shops get a comp spot depending on the numbers, they also add to their costs in order to send trip leaders for free. I don't have a problem with this because it's alot of work both arranging and leading trips. They also have the opportunity to negotiate airfare prices by having a large group. I can usually meet or beat their hotel and dive packages but regular airfare is usally highter.

That's one of the reasons we started putting together trips and inviting friends along. Not only is it more fun with friends, but it can be cheaper, too. If you're interested in our Roatan trip after reading the link parrotheaddiver posted, just let me know.

The only trips I have taken with shop are an annual trip to Cozumel a good friend of mine runs. This year I knew most everyone on trip.

Other trips I have taken are with Houston Underwater Club. None this year as none of the dates/places worked. The trips are good though. All experienced divers. I went to Utila last year on a club trip and with three years experience I was the rookie by far.

Welch Travel (SCUBA exp.) ask for Debra......
179 S. Watson Rd. Suite 404 Arlington, TX 76010
Phone # 817-652-3483

DalTexDiver:
I have been diving with my current LDS for a couple of years and they seem to have fewer and fewer trips that I either can afford or want to take.

In the opinion of the group, who does the best trips? Whose are most affordable? Whose are the most fun? :06:

If you've done any reading on the history of SCUBA you may have come across Walter Davis. Former Naval Aviator and a diving pioneer. He's still alive and kicking (fins that is) and leading dive trips all over the world. He runs a small shop off Midway, south of Beltline (Voyages, the SCUBA shop). He teaches YMCA and NAUI and trips are what he lives for (he leaves for Indonesia tonight and just returned from Australia a few weeks ago).

He's been doing this for nearly 40 years and so he knows which boats, which guides, where to dive and when and so he plans the trips around the best of the best.

He doesn't have a web sit, but you can call the shop to see if anyone is there and pick up a trip sheet:

http://www.scubadillo.org/DiveShops/TSS_page.html

The SCUBA Shop
Walter Davis
14440 Midway Rd.
Addison, TX.
(972) 404-8797

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom