who brings their cameras on every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheNitroxinator:
Spoon, you never specified why you wouldn't bring your camera on every dive. What gives?

i notice that when i bring my camera, i dive on a different mode im more focused and spend more time looking for critters and i miss most of whats going on in the reef. in another dive trip i missed like three sharks that passed right under me but failed to see em bec i was TOO FOCUSED checking them nudis out:)

If I bring a speargun or polespear, the camera won't get wet. If I'm on a site that I haven't dived and I'll be in a situation where I may need to be more focused on my gear and surroundings, the camera won't get wet.

If conditions are utterly garbage, I leave the cam since I'm limited to the external strobe and backscatter is a serious problem here.

Holy Cow...........you should try diving with a camera! You can't imagine how closely you look at everything just to see the beauty hiding in a potentially great photograph. And when you look that close, your memories are just that much better.

Silvertip57:
Holy Cow...........you should try diving with a camera! You can't imagine how closely you look at everything just to see the beauty hiding in a potentially great photograph. And when you look that close, your memories are just that much better.

true, true but when im leading a novice group i leave it on land

No, not every dive. I've quit taking it on local dives, already have a bazillion shots of perch, bass and catfish in green water. I take the whole shebang on every dive trip. First dive is always without a camera, just checking out conditions and getting used to the taste of salt water again! And, of course, I don't take it on class or training dives.

In the past I took it on every single dive while on a trip, afraid I might miss something. But in reality I missed other stuff even with it. A lot depends on the dive site. Some dives I feel like keeping my nose in the reef looking for small stuff, the macro opportunities abound. Some dives I feel like hanging out away from a wall and absorbing the majestic scenery. These visions are burned into memory and no photo can come close to recording what I see on those dives or how they make me feel.

Once I have my camera and UW case, Id probably bring it on every dive, you'll never know "who" or what you'll see underwater even if it's just a shallow dive. Plus I just loooove taking pictures of people and myself underwater since I get to dive with different buddies anyway. Also I got this OC (obsessive compulsive) hobby of documenting trips. :) Ill be putting everything in one big DIVE Album and it's fun to get back to it and reminisce. :D

ishbaby:
Once I have my camera, Id probably bring it on every dive, you'll never know "who" or what you'll see underwater even if it's just a shallow dive. Plus I like taking pictures of people and myself underwater anyway. I like documenting each of my dives, since I usually get to dive with different people anyway. :)

when we did our 8 dives my camera stayed in the box

I take it on most dives but once in a while I just need that carefree dive where I just float around and look at whatever is around. Yes, I do find some of the best critters on these dives and sometimes I do regret not taking the camera but diving without a camera can be very relaxing at times.

midwestdvr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom