Whitsunday Islands, Australia - Whitsunday Magic Cruise Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaiLatte

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I went on our most fantastic holiday thus far to the Whitsunday Islands in late September. I thought we should share our experience so that people from around the world can make better holiday decisions when going to the Whitsundays. Firstly, we pre-booked our accommodation and cruise with AirlieBeach.com. The agent had very favourable prices and was very helpful with our questions. We ended up paying 1400AUD for the cruise (so 700 each) and 200AUD for 2 nights of accommodation. I would just like to point out that if you want to get the right prices, just book your cruise when you arrive in Airlie Beach. When we got on the Whitsunday Magic it was only half full (which was great because we got more attention from the crew) and found out it has not been at full capacity all year round. Booking last minute does give you up to a 40% discount but you obviously risk missing out on the boat of your choice.

We arrived at Airlie Beach on Day 1 late in the evening. We took the Airport Shuttle Bus from Whitsunday Coast Aiport to Airlie Beach. The bus dropped us off right in front of our accommodation which was Waterview Apartments. We arrived late and the reception was closed, but the management was kind enough to arrange so that we got our keys into our unit. Waterview was affordable, had a great view, came with a well equipped kitchen and very clean. Waterview is at the edge of Airlie Beach so it is quiet and near to all the restaurants (Airlie Beach really is not big).

The Whitsunday Magic which brought us around the Whitsunday Islands for 3 days and 3 nights. I am going to talk about the highlights of the Whitsunday Magic separately.
img6713m.jpg

The Whitsunday magic is a schooner. One of the biggest boats around the Whitsundays.

Crew - Obviously very well trained and know what they are doing. Extremely helpful and always good for a conversation. Every one of them made the trip so wonderful.
img7539g.jpg

Ship & Room - Whitsunday Magic is a huge ship. It has a big sundeck and a nice dining area. The ship was well equipped so no complaints at all in this department. Cabins were cozy.
img6737w.jpg

The double room which my girlfriend and I were in.

img6739w.jpg

The toilet attached to the room.

img6947.jpg

Inside dining area.

img6976.jpg

The sundeck.

People - We were very lucky to find ourselves in great company on the boat. Every couple on our boat was from a different country which made it even better. On our tip, every person was a couple.
img6968.jpg

My girlfriend, a Dutch couple and a German couple having dinner.

Food & Bar - We were pampered with 5 meals a day. Each was different from the last one. Each was also extremely tasty. The drinks at the bar on board were cheap especially at happy hour. Happy hour was during sunset time. So sipping champagne while watching the sunset felt classy.
img6835a.jpg

Very appetizing lunch.

img6975.jpg

Another example of lunch on board.

Diving & Snorkeling - We dived at the reefs around the Whitsunday Islands. The dives were good. Good visibility, lots of coral and a lot of marine life to see. We saw a black-tip shark, turtles, lots of corals and lots of fishes. Snorkeling was fantastic as well with the reefs just beneath your feet and fish swimming around you. Unfortunately, non of the divers had cameras with them. I do apologize for this.
img6849q.jpg

Wildlife - The wildlife we encountered when on the boat included dolphins, whales and turtles. So plenty to see on the boat as well.

Itinerary - Cruising the Whitsunday Islands was great. The highlight was probably Whithaven Beach. Pure-white sands and clear blue water made this place you see in postcards. Itinerary was well planned and gave plenty of time to dive, snorkel, enjoy the beach and you getting pampered.
img7077x.jpg

Northern part of Whithaven beach.

img6944dh.jpg

Sunset around the Islands.

Whitsunday Magic gave my girlfriend and I a perfect holiday and we were very happy although we went a bit out of our budget to pay for it. I hope this review helps and I would be more than happy to take questions via reply to this post, PM or email.

I posted a similar post although without photos on the TripAdvisor.com forums.

Back
Top Bottom