Whites Fusion: buoyancy differences between Bullet & Sport skins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meagicano

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I am a new owner of a Whites Fusion and I got it right before leaving Ottawa. I had three opportunities to dive it. I also picked up a new bp/w (Halcyon eclipse, stainless steel, with weighted STA)

Dive 1 & 2: drysuit course at a local quarry. The shop had screwed everything up - so they didn't put the bullet skin on it like they were supposed to, they didn't have the STA on my Halcyon rig (I didn't realize until I got it out because they had carried it out to my car for me), etc. etc. SO. I did the dive in my sport skin, no STA and had 18 lbs on to sink from a really terrible weight check my instructor did (which was basically throwing weight at me until I stayed down).

Dive 3: in the river. Light current. I now have the Bullet skin and the STA (which is apparently 6 lbs) on the Halycon rig. So I put 6 & 6 in my integrated pockets, to total up 18 lbs and I was basically a muck diver.

The instructor had stressed that I should be only using the drysuit for buoyancy etc etc. and it definitely wasn't doable on Dive #3. I could barely get off the bottom, so I was incredibly overweighted. On dives 1 & 2 I had no problems using only the drysuit versus the wing. I read a lot and talk to more experienced divers a lot, so I wasn't completely sold on the fact that I should only use my suit but figured that since it had worked on Dives 1 & 2 I could just stick with it.

I know this sounds a bit convoluted... but is there any sort of difference between the Bullet and Sport skin in terms of buoyancy that an experienced Whites diver knows about?

I did not notice one bit of difference. If there is any, it's in the range of a pound or so.

Back
Top Bottom