Whiteboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Two questions:
1) If I am at say 60 ft. or deeper and I am using the strobe on my DC 1200, do I need to worry about setting manual whiteboard? I guess another way of saying this is if I set manual whiteboard and use ambient light but then shift to flash do I need to change whiteboard again?

2) When diving at this same depth (or any depth really) and I do set manual whiteboard (on my DC 1200) do I still use the camera setting "Camera Only less 25 ft. or great than 25 ft".?

Thanks

I only use manual WB with the strobes off (camera only setting). The less than 25'/greater than 25' are white balance settings, so selecting manual WB will override it. Although, I've never really been able to get good ambient light, manual white balance pics with the DC1400, so I may not be the best person to listen to.

Since the SeaLife only shoots JPG you need to have as much done before the image is taken as you can, as you limit the amount of post processing (as compared to shooting "RAW"), that you have available.

White Balance is dependent on the type light you have illuminating your subject. If you change the light ambient to strobe, deeper to more shallow, etc ect, you should adjust the white balance.

One option is to take a neutral color white/neutral grey card with you. (a dive slate probably would work great, have your dive buddy hold the slate). and take a shot of it in the same light conditions you plan to shoot in. THEN you can use the white part of that picture to figure out what the white balance for that shot was, and apply it to other images you shoot with the same light when you do you're post processing.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2014 at 11:32 AM ----------

Don,

REALLY NICE SHOTS IN YOUR GALLERY.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom