White shark encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, I just read your post - I don't know how I'll react!

That must be the most awe inspiring thing to experience. Waiting and watching is one thing - doing the safety stop and surfacing - that's the hectic part!

I had a buddy do a roll entry off a zodiac once and come face to face with a 7-8 foot white just cruising by. He told me he suddenly found himself back in the boat and can't remember how he got there so quickly.

I don't know if the story is true, but he's never been the type to fib and the way he tells it is darn funny.

I got one to top this...the other day I was in the quarry and I came within atleast 10 feet of a 18 inch catfish....talk about worried...i aborted the dive and drove off...with my equipment still on.

:)

jepuskar:
I got one to top this...the other day I was in the quarry and I came within atleast 10 feet of a 18 inch catfish....talk about worried...i aborted the dive and drove off...with my equipment still on.

:)
LOL
You must of had to change your shorts later too, I suppose.

Jepuskar - if that was one of them thar walking catfish you had run into, the Widder Jepuskar woulda been writin' thet post and weeda been mailin her nickles ta bury yew.

HOLY ******!!!!!!
We're not worthy... we're not worthy!!! Awesome story man!

scubaculture:
This has to be my favourite dive of all time!

We were diving pinacles on Protea Banks. We were relaxing under an overhand watching the fish and a pretty big Tiger shark, it was around 4m long. Next thing the reef just went quiet, no fish, the Tiger swam off. We looked at each other and said ok lets go up

As we swam out from the overhang a MASSIVE White shark swam over us, she was at least 5.5m long and absolutely HUGE. After the initial shock we sort of calmed down and went back under the overhang, she swam past us three times and was realy eyeing us out, you could almost see the curiosity in her eyes. We hit our minimu air and decided to ascend, she followed us up all the way to our saftey stop, staying around 3m away from us at all times. Needless to say it was an interesting safety stop!

We deployed our SMB and looked up to make sure the boat was above us, we ascended to underneat the boat and my buddy went over first. The White shark was still around 3m away from me just below. I took my chance and bolted over the side of the boat, I was shaking so much from the excitement. We then looked over the edge and she lifter her head out the water to check us out again. She circled the boat a few times, raising her head out the water 3 more times and then she swam off.

This was without a doubt the best White Shark encounter I have ever had, she was the biggest I have seen and it was an amazing experience.

I have been in the water quite a few times with White sharks, mostly on the wreck of the Birckenhead, but this was the first time one so big was around and in such clear water.
Hey Scubaculture-that sounds like one wicked dive site-with the potential of swimming with Bulls,Tigers, and Great Whites all at the same time and place-well,I guess its not a good place to accidentally pee in your wetsuit...Glad you all made it out ok, :wink: since it sounds like you may have been getting sized up for lunch...Peace...Saildiver

I keep telling this story to everyone - I don't know how you're going to top that one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom