White Balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birdman77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do you use pre-set modes(daylight,cloudy,u/w....) or do you just carry a white slate and use that and the custom when adjusting?

What conditions?

I usually use "auto" wb on my compacts and make sure I am in flash/strobe range. Anything out of that and it's manual white balance for the best results - you can use sand or a slate or anything that's pretty much white-ish...it just might not be exact, but it is usually better than the presets.

Hey Kapula. Do you ever use the daylight? Because on the canon website they advise using it in clear waters in the 0-10 m depth range.

Daylight mode? I'm not sure if my c-8080 has that mode but no I only use manual white balance or external strobe. They might mean you should only use daylight and not internal strobe. I've used manual white balance until 20 metres. There you don't really have any red light left and need to push white balance too far. Ofcourse this all depends on how much light you have (time of day, wether it's cloudy or not and how good is visibility). But if visibility is bad (lots of particles in water) you end up having loads of backsatter when using internal strobe.

If you use manual white balance make sure you readjust it often. Light tends to change the deeper you go or it may get cloydy etc. If I shoot with manual w/b and I haven't taken a pic for a few minutes I usually rebalance it. Most propably I'm not in the same depth as I was when I balanced it or light conditions have changed.

Hope this helped :)

I use the cloudy white balance setting when shooting with strobe, if I am not using strobe, I use manual or just not worry about setting it at all because I am shooting raw and can change it in post.

The main reason for shooting cloudy with a strobe is that it will make the colors more vibrant. I would never shoot auto though as your shots will be all over the place and rarely be correct so you still have to fix in post and they won't be the same.

I calibrate it off the sand or off my slate (depends on lighting). You have to re-claibrate it if the conditions change, i.e. Clouds, go deeper or shoot upwards.

WB is a complicated topic.

Depends a lot on the subject distance, the coverage of the lens, whether you are using artificial lights and what kind (ie color temperature), light to subject distance, water clarity, etc.

Most photographers have a bunch of "rule of thumb" to cover various situations.

For still photography, one solution is to shoot in RAW format, where the WB settings on the camera have no effect, and then correct the WB in the editing stage.

For video, it is better to get closer to right WB as you capture so a white card and a manual WB is best. But you need to redo the manual WB when conditions change (depth, lights on/off, sunlight changes, etc).

Maybe if you can say more about what you are trying to achieve and what equipment you are using, someone can give you more specific advice.

Regards
Peter

I shoot RAW but always have it set on cloudy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom