white balance ?'s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SO If I have a strobe I won't need to adjust my white balance? or should I do it anyways (I have a canon S230) When shouldn't I use a strobe? Planning on diving the Cenotes this January

Thanks

yes you don't have to calibrate white balance when you shoot with the strobe on. the strobe provides the white light you need to bring the colors out.

when not to use a strobe...when you're shooting in shallow waters where the sunlight/ambient is enough to light the subject. in this case you should set a custom white balance. but if the subject is say under a crevice (not well lit) then you should still use the strobe.

When shouldn't I use a strobe? Planning on diving the Cenotes this January
when not to use a strobe...when you're shooting in shallow waters where the sunlight/ambient is enough to light the subject. in this case you should set a custom white balance.
Or when your shooting silhouettes, or usually when the subject is more than 10' away, or when you need to shoot faster than your strobe will recycle, or when your shooting whale sharks and manta rays with some operators. There are others, but there isn't really one hard fast rule! :no

P10101602.jpg

P1010172.jpg

I still post process the photos in PhotoShop.
Speaking of post process in Photoshop, I have never used anything but auto WB on either oly 5050's or canon S-70's. I shoot in Raw and then adjust everything on the computer. For ambient and internal flash I leave the camera in Full Auto! For strobed shots I use MyModes to pre-set 6-8 f-stop/shutter/iso combinations.

At 80 feet, what does your eye see? I see a lot of blue. My goal is to make the final image look like I saw it, not better than I saw it. I'm not saying those using white slates don't produce realistic images, but if I have to post process anyway why would I bother. They don't call 'em p&s for nothing! :lotsalove:

The above link is a story thread with a link to some of my best semi-deep ambient work (115' max), and required suprisingly little PS adjustment. Uploaded to computer with Camedia Master, imported into PS Elements 4 with Bridge (adjusting temp, tint, shadows, brightness and contrast), then only minor adjustments once actually in PS. Yes Is sounds like a lot of work, but imagine me doing WB changes while scootering around a wreck, schooling fish, scuba divers, free divers and a tourist sub.

P10100184.jpg

110' deep​

Even when I'm not so busy or deep, I just point and shoot, and sort the WB out with Bridge and PS! Not saying anybody is wrong, just pointing out another way to skin this cat. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom