Whistling on my new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plashb199

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I recently purchased a Scubapro s560 reg and the first time in the water it was whistling everytime I inhaled. I purchased it through leisure pro, (they want me to send it back, so they can send me another one) however, i don't want to wait the 2 weeks for the return and exchange to happen. SO, i was wondering if any of you have had a similar issue. Is it an easy fix that my local shop could handle OR is this a sign of a serious defect..?

Keep Diving

I had a whistling and honking noise on my Hollis regs when I first bought them. At the time they were newly released to the market and a number of other people were having similar issues. Hollis recommended I take them into the authorized dealer and have them checked out. I never did and the whistling gradually went away. I read that it was due to one of the valves being too tight right off the production line (can't remember whether it was valves or what exactly now, that was a long time ago). I would advise you to either send them back or take them into your local shop and have them take a look. It may be worth your health and safety to wait the two more weeks.

Consider giving the purge valve a workout

There's whistling from piston first stages and there's honking from the diaphragms on 2nd stages. Which do you think you have? If your first stage is a MK25, it might be the whistler but if it's a MK17, it must be the 2nd stage.

Neither the whistling 1st stage nor the honking 2nd stage are serious problems, if it's caused by the usual issues. Those are:

1)The 1st stage lacks a bit of lubricant on the HP o-ring, and that coupled with some random resonance match between the piston and spring result in vibrations as air crosses the piston edge (just like a flute mouthpiece) being amplified into a whistle/hum. The fix for this is to remove the piston, lubricate the shaft well, maybe turn the spring over for good measure, and re-install.

2) The 2nd stage diaphragm honks because vibrations caused by the air rushing in get telegraphed into the plastic case. This is usually fixed by taking the case cover off, making sure the diaphragm is evenly seated, and re-installing. Usually there's a plastic ring which is supposed to make sure that the diaphragm gets even pressure from the case cover. This honking often goes away in the water because the water dampens the diaphragm vibrations.

i have the m21/s560 combo running DIN
thanks for the info. i'll take it to a dive shop and see what they can do.
There's whistling from piston first stages and there's honking from the diaphragms on 2nd stages. Which do you think you have? If your first stage is a MK25, it might be the whistler but if it's a MK17, it must be the 2nd stage.

Neither the whistling 1st stage nor the honking 2nd stage are serious problems, if it's caused by the usual issues. Those are:

1)The 1st stage lacks a bit of lubricant on the HP o-ring, and that coupled with some random resonance match between the piston and spring result in vibrations as air crosses the piston edge (just like a flute mouthpiece) being amplified into a whistle/hum. The fix for this is to remove the piston, lubricate the shaft well, maybe turn the spring over for good measure, and re-install.

2) The 2nd stage diaphragm honks because vibrations caused by the air rushing in get telegraphed into the plastic case. This is usually fixed by taking the case cover off, making sure the diaphragm is evenly seated, and re-installing. Usually there's a plastic ring which is supposed to make sure that the diaphragm gets even pressure from the case cover. This honking often goes away in the water because the water dampens the diaphragm vibrations.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom