Whiskey Wreck Dive Report 10-31-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After doing a little exploring at the site of the newly uncoverd old shipwreck in Fort Morgan, AL; Josh Timmons and I headed to Gulf Shores to dive the Whiskey Wreck.

Surf was running shin high and coming in with regular sets. No real surge on the bottom at depth. Air temps around 75F with water temperatures very similar. Visibility was a really clouded up 3-5'. Found the wreck without problem and started swimming around her for a total dive time of 34 minutes before Josh's light bit the dust. I hit a max depth of 19'. We saw pinfish, spades, croaker, some sort of jack, octopii, electric skates, a few crab, a single sheepshead, and one large flounder(which I took - ~3lbs). Fun dive despite conditions and the light failure. I still need to get back out there and get a grasp on all the areas that were uncovered from the surf we had 2 weeks back.

Bah, you and you're tropical excursions! I'll have you know the Whiskey has uncovered, even more!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Bah, you and you're tropical excursions! I'll have you know the Whiskey has uncovered, even more!

I'll have you know that many of my dives were shallower than the paddlewheeler/whiskey. Some where in shrimpboat depth. More coral, fewer fish.

I haven't been diving on the Whiskey Wreck in a few years. How much of it is exposed? I was thinking about heading that way the first weekend in December.

Its deepest point was at 19' on the inside of the hull and the top of the wreck at its shallowest point is 5-6' below the surface, so 13-14' of relief from its deepest point to its shallowest relief on the wreck. Probably 130'ish of total relief, more exposed than in the last 20 years if what I'm told is correct(I've only been diving for 3 years).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom