Whiskey Wreck Conditions since Katrina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sticking around town this weekend to help a buddy of mine move into his new house, not to mention I'm broke as hell. Figured this would make a good week/weekend to check on the Whiskey Wreck conditions. I haven't dived it, or heard of anyone else who's dived it since Katrina.

Pre-Katrina/Post-Ivan, Arlene, Cindy, and Dennis; there was only two sections of relief. One about 5' long and about 6" of relief and the other about 10' long with 6-12" of relief. Not much of a dive...

With a little luck, Katrina may have washed the sandbar closer to shore exposing more of the wreck. I'd be happy with the relief we had pre-Ivan, 5-6' relief for ~50'. However, I'd be even happier if it were exposed even more :)

Course, Katrina might have done nothing for conditions or even covered the little bit of relief up with more sand...

Anyone wanna find out? I'm open evenings during the weekdays with a bit of planning or on Sunday morning. I can't promise anything with the dive unfortunately.

I'd be interested in hitting it over the weekend. Sunday morning works for me.

We'll make some concrete plans after Rita plays out a bit further. After watching the news this morning, this weekend might have a bit too much surf - we'll see.

Mat,
Surf's up dude! I am up for a dive myself this coming weekend. I'll be posting a trip report later today.
Howard

Nice!

I'm starting to think this weekend might not be too great of a weekend to dive thanks to Rita. Surf is gonna pick up and kill any visibility we have out there. Gonna try to talk a buddy into diving this evening or tomorrow evening, no idea if I'll be able to make that happen though...

Morning news was reporting 4' seas this morning that will climb to ~10' by this evening. Surf reports were reporting rib high sets and growing. Visibility is gonna be shot for about a week.

Maybe next weekend :(

Drat dang it! I guess I'll save my scheckles. Oh well I can always refine my Christmas wish list since the closest springs are in Pelham probably.

Prior to Katrina it was in 3' of water and no relief. The 'Canes had buried it deep.

Welcome to ScubaBoard meigs3,

Thanks for the report, we're gonna check it out post Rita tomorrow(Sunday) to see if conditions have changed any. Surf is supposed to pick up, so hopefully, we'll still be able to check it out.

Did you dive the Whiskey Wreck yourself post Katrina? I've dove it post Dennis and pre Katrina and have found it in 7-8' of water with 6-12" of relief. Still not enough to make it much of an interesting dive, but atleast there was something there...

I'm in Loxley, hit me up with a PM if you're ever in the mood for a dive.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Sticking around town this weekend to help a buddy of mine move into his new house, not to mention I'm broke as hell. Figured this would make a good week/weekend to check on the Whiskey Wreck conditions. I haven't dived it, or heard of anyone else who's dived it since Katrina.

Pre-Katrina/Post-Ivan, Arlene, Cindy, and Dennis; there was only two sections of relief. One about 5' long and about 6" of relief and the other about 10' long with 6-12" of relief. Not much of a dive...

With a little luck, Katrina may have washed the sandbar closer to shore exposing more of the wreck. I'd be happy with the relief we had pre-Ivan, 5-6' relief for ~50'. However, I'd be even happier if it were exposed even more :)

Course, Katrina might have done nothing for conditions or even covered the little bit of relief up with more sand...

Anyone wanna find out? I'm open evenings during the weekdays with a bit of planning or on Sunday morning. I can't promise anything with the dive unfortunately.
I'm sure you've noticed this, but the sandbar is now very close to shore, so you may have a nice dive after all.

Back
Top Bottom