Whiskey Wreck 4-30-7 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Conditions have been improving in the Gulf for the past few days, so it was time to jump back in the water since I didn't do much diving this weekend. I met up with cmufieldhockey08 and GulfDiver77 at the public access next to Bahama Bobs a bit after 6:30 this afternoon. Air temps in the mid-low70sF and the surf was running ankle high with a slight easterly sideshore current and a very light chop. Water from the surface, looked extremely clear.

We hit 73F water with a bit of sunlight left and started making our way to the Whiskey. Visibility was constantly 15-20' throughout the dive and there was a bit of a thermocline at certain depths and at certain portions of the wreck which dropped the water to 72F. Spades and pinfish could be found everywhere. Flounder littered the bottom and GulfDiver managed to knife two. Pigfish, catfish, searobins could be found. Look closer and you would find blennies, scorpianfish, gobies, and damsels. There were a few southern rays out and we also found several electric skates. cmufieldhockey practiced a bit of reelwork and spotted her first octopus. I improved bouyancy mid-dive via shoving a rock into my BC. We hit a max depth of 16' for a dive lasting 75 minutes.

Had a great dive and I headed into Bahama Bobs for a beer before heading home :)

I'm glad the conditions in the Gulf are finally improving. BlueWater was cold Sunday and the vis was the worst I had ever seen it. But I still had a good time. Clay took me to some pilings I had not seen before. I also got to take advantage of Dive Rite's demo day and try a transpac and wing. It was great!!

Back
Top Bottom