Whiskey Wreck 10-10-6 Night Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After diving the Whiskey Wreck on Saturday, another diver exitted the water with a polespear and no fish. I commented on him not having any luck and he stated that there hasn't been any flounder on the Whiskey in a month or so... Right. :14:

Tonight, Mikey P and I headed to the Whiskey Wreck for a dive. We chose this location because it has showers and a great little resteraunt with a full bar which comes in handy after the dive. Seaweed hasn't been a big issue at this particular site recently either, some of our other beach sites are being covered by quite a bit of seaweed that limits us on how much relief we can explore.

Water was pretty much dead calm without any surf to speak of and visibly clear from the beach. Water temps in the high 70sF now(78F). Our visibility was limited mostly by the reaches of our lights, I'm guessing 25', maybe slightly better - it was fantastic. The wreck is so much fun these days with the amount of relief from the sandy bottom and the tremendous amount of fish making their homes onsite. Blue crab were everywhere as well as the typical schooling fish. Lots and lots of rays, electric, southerns, bats, ect. Flounder too, lots of em, I ended up taking 21 founder over the course of the 94 minute dive with a max depth of 18'. Definately the most productive dive I've had in awhile, but a superb dive even when not hunting as there was so much to witness onsite.

Despite the fish fry we had this past weekend, my freezer is stocked again :)

Mat10_10_6_256.jpg

Dang, I wanted to come try my luck with my pole spear this weekend, but I guess you cleaned it out!! Good report. Sounds like you had fun.

Mike

There are plenty more :)

You are sooooo my hero! Great report Matt. Thanks for the report. Did you see the post about the shark we saw outside of Perdido Pass this weekend. Be careful. Have fun at Vortex

I read the post and I'm jealous :) The only sharks I've seen while diving have been on the Whiskey Wreck and were only ~2' long...very dissappointing. I want to dive with the big boys, when I have another UW camera of course! It seems, even when I dive on sites notorious for having sharks, they are missing in action when I'm in the water... :(

Some people get all the luck!

It looks like your Dive was very nice indeed there Mat, With a catch like that all that is needed is a few crabs and a cold beer or two. With the cold weather coming on a person better start stocking the frig to the max. Your going to have to show me how to use a pole spear one day, I have never really messed with one

Its a rather simple tool really, pointy end goes into the fish :wink: For flounder, its not even necessary to use the band :D

Pointy end into the fish? I thought you placed the band around the fish and pulled it as a snare. I guess I’ll just stick to my guns. Speaking of which anyone got a good recipe for Trigger fish. Gary got me hooked on them but mine taste plain. I mean no taste at all

Some Dale's steaksauce, lemon pepper, and a bit a thousand island make for a great marinade for trigger, AJs, snapper, ect.

Learn to use a polespear off the beach, especially if you are shooting for flounder. You'll spend all your time loading and reloading a gun otherwise and that'll give the fish way too much time to swim off. There's no reason not to learn a polespear... Mine gets used a hellovalot more than my gun.

Its easier to just stack em on a pole until they get really unweidly, string em, and start fresh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom