While I was diving yesterday a little boy died.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
He was 6 years old. He was in my daughters 1st Grade class at Elementary school. I taught him English last Wednesday and let him draw a picture of his family, while he learnt the words for Mother, Father, Sister, Brother. I just went to the pre-funeral this evening....the main funeral and cremation will be tomorrow. My daughter will go to that with the class teacher and others from the school, the head etc.

He died of meningitis.

It's very hot here and they're making the kids practice outside everyday now for Sports Day next Sunday. Friday he arrived at school with a temperature and a headache - they seem to have waited for his Mum to arrive before anyone did anything.

I've cried a lot, and feel very sad.

I also have questions........ several.

Gosh .. I'm so sorry ... sad, so young ... and you have that personal connection with him too

Kim, meningitis can move incredibly fast -- Sometimes, by the time you've realized the child has anything more than a normal viral illness, it's too late to save them, even if you do everything right.

The only question I'd have is whether the child was fully immunized. We don't see much meningitis in the US any more, with the HiB and pneumococcal vaccines widely used. Meningococcal meningitis still kills some people every year, though.

I'm sorry this happened, and that you had such a personal connection with the boy. Losing children is always more painful, because you have the sense of a life cut short.

Wow, that is terrible.
Did the school know it was serious or did they just think he was trying to get out of sports day.

If you need to talk, you have my number. Take care.

So sorry to hear about this, Kim. My deepest sympathies to the family and everyone affected including yourself, of course.

It's so very hard to lose a young life close to you.
The "if only I'd ..." will be in many minds.
Time will dull the pain, but it never completely goes away.
My prayers are aloft for you and all who are touched by this tragedy.
Rick †

I was hospitalized with viral meningitis early in August of this year. I got a slight headache on Friday afternoon. By Saturday morning it was a really bad headache and every joint in my body hurt like I had run a matathon. By Saturday evening there was terrible pain just to stoop over enough to flush the toilet. Many Motrins later I fell asleep Saturday evening.

By Sunday morning I crawled to my my wife's side of the bed literally crying because of the pain. I knew I was dying. I did not have to ask twice to be driven to the hospital.

After several bags of antibiotics given by IV and lots of opiate derived pain relief I was released from the hospital on Tuesday morning.

It took till the following Monday morning till I could get myself to work.

I feel for this child. Meningitis comes on strong and hard and is extremely painful.

Prayers for the family of this young man.

:hugs:

Kim,

I am so sorry. The little ones are the most painful. Prayers of comfort to you and the families...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom