Whick back plate: SS or Aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trip17

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm currently using a scuba pro knighthawk BCD + 4-5lbs of weights (total). I'm thinking of switching to a back plate system however, I'm unsure if I should get a 4lbs stainless steel back plate or an aluminum one.

Ideally, I don't want to add weights anymore.

Thanks in advance :)

Trip, I think you'll need to provide a bit more information, like:
What kind of exposure suit do you wear? I.e., drysuit, 3mm, 7mm, etc.
What tanks do you dive? Steel 130HP, Al 80, etc

Personally, I dive steel 100HPs, and am looking at an Al BP. Steel tanks are good to be offset by Al BP, and steel BP are good to add weight for diving a drysuit or thick wetsuit.

This subject has been covered in several previous posts as well. The search feature of this forum is less than optimal, however, Google does a great job of ferreting out the relevant ones.

Thanks for your reply mk! I normally just use a 3mm wet suit and use a 80 cubic feet steel tank

In general. Aluminum plates are -1 Lbs. Steel Plates are -5 to -6 Lbs.

Personally, I'd rather be a tad bit heavy than light.

It sounds to me like you would still have to wear weight with an AL plate.

In general. Aluminum plates are -1 Lbs. Steel Plates are -5 to -6 Lbs.

Personally, I'd rather be a tad bit heavy than light.

It sounds to me like you would still have to wear weight with an AL plate.

I'm the oposite, I prefer to be a little light, and add to a weight belt, wich can be ditched in an emergency.
To answer the original question, it is a balancing act. If you can, get one of each!, AL and SS. Many BP/W divers will use the AL plates when they travel to cut down on Airline luggage limits.

Hey all! I'm currently using a scuba pro knighthawk BCD + 4-5lbs of weights (total). I'm thinking of switching to a back plate system however, I'm unsure if I should get a 4lbs stainless steel back plate or an aluminum one.

Ideally, I don't want to add weights anymore.

Thanks in advance :)

With the loss of positive buoyancy of the Nighthawk, and the added negative of the SS backplate, you may not need any other weight. You'll get varying opinions regarding not having ditchable weights, but the technical solution is that you should be weight-free with this configuration.

When I travel, it's usually to a warm water site, with sea water and rental aluminum tanks, so SS makes more sense to me. At home with double steel tanks, an aluminum plate is usually enough.

Aluminum 80 and 3mil suit mates nicely with a steel plate.

Heaviest suit I wear is a 3/2 with 1 mil shorts and 2.5mil hooded vest. I dive an aluminum plate, but I also use steel tanks. In my 1 mil suit, I need no weight.

In your case, a steel plate would offset the positive buoyancy of an an empty 80. Then you have to figure out what little weight you may need to offset the 3 mil suit.

If you are going to have only one plate, though I would opt for the aluminum. You could add a Hammerhead weighted STA for about 45 bucks and/or weight pouches to the cam straps or your waist.

Forget the Halcyon weighted STA. For that kind of money you could add a DiveRite steel plate to your quiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom