Which would you pick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thbcthomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a chance to pick up a us divers conshelf 21 (1st stage, 2nd stage and octo all conshelf 21) and a mares axis (1st stage mr12 dfc, 2nd stage and octo are axis, and an old computer,maybe an m1). Both are priced the same $100, but not sure which is better. I know many love the conshelf ( I actually have a set i picked up on craigslist for $35 shipped to my door.), but the mares is about half the cost to service, so i am leaning towards the mares. But dont want to buy the mares if it is no comparison the the conshelf, just to save $30-40 a year on labor to service.

Also would like to get something that eventually i could service myself. This may seem crazy, but I rebuilt 1000's of irrigation valves, will that experience help in rebuilding a reg? I know an irrigation repairman should not rebuild life support equipment.

Hope it all makes sense. I know everyone has a preference, Just thought i would see what others thought.

i would hold out for another cheap conshelf. neither screams deal to me.
I am negotiating with them, what price do you feel would be a good deal?

depends on condition. i would target 60 dollars if they look in pretty good shape. not sure how much you could get for the m1, but you can also look into whether you can sell that to bring your cost down.

Also would like to get something that eventually i could service myself. This may seem crazy, but I rebuilt 1000's of irrigation valves, will that experience help in rebuilding a reg? I know an irrigation repairman should not rebuild life support equipment.

Please forget about the "life support" nonsense, unfortunately new divers are fed that line of BS by people wanting to sell them expensive regulators. I suspect that rebuilding irrigation equipment is more complex than regulator repair, so if you're interested in working on your own regs, go for it!

The Vance Harlow book on regulator repair would be an excellent investment for you, and I bet there are schematics of both the Mares and Conshelf that you are considering in the book. Personally I would buy the conshelf just because I know parts are everywhere and I'm more familiar with them.

Having both the Conshelf and Mares in my collection, I say that you should go with your personal choice, as both are good, reliable, easy to maintain, regulators; either should be 100% acceptable for recreational diving. I would put a cold water kit on whichever one you choose (it works great to keep out sand and other debris from entering your first stage too). Having both second stages identical is a plus and either regulator is offered that way. It makes rebuilds more convenient, as well as giving you a baseline on performance, as you can compare the primary to the octo. Parts are plentiful for both models, so just go with the one that you prefer.

i would hold out for another cheap conshelf. neither screams deal to me.
Anyone have an opinion on what these regs are worth,or what you would pay? Only going to do about 20-30 lake dives a year.

Value is dependent upon condition. I would pay more for a regulator that was used in fresh water than in salt water, all else being equal. When was the last time each was serviced? You have more bells and whistles on the Mares (computer) but does it work and what condition is it in? Neither of these are collectables, both are workhorses, with plastic second stages. Inspect the plastic for cracks, especially the Conshelf where the hose enters the second stage. Without seeing each, it would be too hard to place a price. Look at it as a lottery ticket, would you play for the prize?

The Conshelf and MR12 first stages are almost identical and can use the same service kit.
I'm surprised the Mares is less expensive to service.....
If the computer is a US Divers Monitor M1 it's probably a paper weight as the battery is very difficult to change.

It is a mares computer, but i do not see a model. The console does say mission. It has a yellow border around the screen and 2 yellow buttons with a green border. I would add a wrist computer and probably do away with the computer.

Back
Top Bottom