Which wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gotta get two wings, the dual use ones are crap. always get the smallest you need. halcyon sent me a 40lb for singles, too big, the 30 is more than enough. doubles wing depends on your tanks, but get the smallest you need too, itll make buoyancy control and trim control so much easier.

How many of you that just posted about how "all dual-use wings are crap" actually owned one?

I own an OMS bungeed 60lbs wing and an Agir-Brokk 56lbs wing. I prefer the Agir-Brokk, but frankly, the OMS bungeed wing did just fine. I used it for cave diving and wreck diving, in addition to a few shore dives off Gloucester, Mass and also wreck diving out of Va Beach and North Carolina. Where did you guys use yours, and for what purpose? If I can use it for cave diving, I'd think it's sufficient. It worked fine for singles, too.

I used a Dive Rite Rec wing a few times too(for singles) and it also worked fine. So, listen to the internet cyber-divers who don't own/never put them through their paces, or you can use what DOES actually work in real life.

Dedicated wings are better, but dual-use wings work too. Unless you need to achieve effortless trim, which isn't really a priority for 99% of divers, and frankly most cyber-divers don't have **** for trim anyway even when they talk it up, a dual-use wing will work fine. Having perfect trim is blown out of proportion anyways by people who need to feel good about something and try to set themselves apart.........

I dive with an OMS 32lb singles with with single tanks and double aluminum 80s but I do it in a drysuit. That size wing will float my twin 80's, a 9lb stainless plate, and a aluminum 40 by itself but anything more and its not enough. If your diving dual 80's like me and in a drysuit then I cant say a 32lb oms or the new 32lb hog wing would not work well even though its designed for single tanks.

Thanks for all of the advice after what everyone said I think I am going to get two wings I was thinking about the dive rite classic wing for doubles but im not sure which one I should get for singles any suggestions.

How many of you that just posted about how "all dual-use wings are crap" actually owned one?
I did... I started with a DiveRite RecWing, and thought it was just fine... until I tried dedicated singles and doubles wings and realized how much more difficult an "all-purpose" wing made things. I couldn't sell that P.O.S. fast enough, once I appreciated how much worse it was than the alternative.

Did it work? Yes. Did it suck? Also, yes. "Just fine" is relative. Walking will get you where you're going "just fine", but it might not be a good argument against buying a car. An all-purpose wing will provide buoyancy and it isn't likely to do you any harm, but don't make the mistake of thinking it's just as good. It's not.

im not sure which one I should get for singles any suggestions.
I really like the OxyCheq wings, because they're both very well made and comparatively inexpensive.

I own an OMS bungeed 60lbs wing and an Agir-Brokk 56lbs wing. I prefer the Agir-Brokk, but frankly, the OMS bungeed wing did just fine. I used it for cave diving and wreck diving, in addition to a few shore dives off Gloucester, Mass and also wreck diving out of Va Beach and North Carolina. Where did you guys use yours, and for what purpose? If I can use it for cave diving, I'd think it's sufficient. It worked fine for singles, too.

I used a Dive Rite Rec wing a few times too(for singles) and it also worked fine. So, listen to the internet cyber-divers who don't own/never put them through their paces, or you can use what DOES actually work in real life.

Dedicated wings are better, but dual-use wings work too. Unless you need to achieve effortless trim, which isn't really a priority for 99% of divers, and frankly most cyber-divers don't have **** for trim anyway even when they talk it up, a dual-use wing will work fine. Having perfect trim is blown out of proportion anyways by people who need to feel good about something and try to set themselves apart.........

No need to insult the folks who have a different opinion than you. Just state your opinion. Don't call others liars and bad divers. So you like you BWOD. No biggie.

I don't like them. There is a better option. Sounds like you started out with one and moved on to something better. Why not just skip right to the ideal wing.

Effortless trim is probably a priority for most BP/W divers. As a cave diver, I would think you would understand the importance of trim.

Was not meant to be an insult, I apologize. However, when a lot of people talk crap about dual-use wings, most of the divers I encounter doing so have never owned them or have simply used them improperly(bungees way too tight, too loose, tied at different tensions, ect). It's also not that I just like my BWOD....it's that a lot of the complaints about them are just pure B.S. made up by zealots that....go figure, again, never owned them. If it just didn't work for you, trim wise or whatever, then fine, but that doesn't mean ALL dual-use wings suck, the same with dedicated wings. The trim characteristics of a lot of wings on the market are very different, some very head supporting(Agir-Brokk Habrok) and some very butt supportive(Dive Rite Classic or OMS horseshoe). So you go out and buy the wrong wing for yourself.......let's say it's an Oxycheq. Does that mean ALL dedicated wings suck? No, it means that specific design/trim characteristic is the wrong choice. Go figure.

No, they are not as good as a dedicated wing, and I agree with you guys on that as stated in my previous post. I do understand the importance of trim, but I also have a brain in my head(funny if you know my job/who I am:wink: ) and also understand that trim is NOT the most important thing for divers not in an overhead. It's overdone, overplayed, overrated by divers on the internet. There's a point where it really is good enough....it doesn't need to be perfect.

If you're driving a Toyota Camry, do you really need to buy different sets of tires, winter performance and a set of summer-only high performance tires? No, because a decent pair of all season is good enough. Easiest way I can get my point across.

Since you'd like two separate wings, think this over......
Do you need an Agir-Brokk, Halcyon, Golem Gear or Oxycheq Extreme series wing for single tank diving? They are incredibly rugged wings and very well made.......and frankly you don't need that ruggedness. If you do, then you're going places you shouldn't be with a single tank.

Something more reasonable is in order for a single tank wing.....think Deep Sea Supply, OMS, HOG(great deals on TDL since they're a newer company), or any brand as long as you can get a good deal on it. Take that money you saved by not spending $400+ dollars on a wing and go dive with it.....

I dived a DiveRite RecWing for both singles and doubles. It works "ok" but not sweet.

Now I use a 40lb Halcyon Explorer for double AL80s and 30lb Eclipse for single AL80. Certainly the way to go.

Was not meant to be an insult, I apologize. However, when a lot of people talk crap about dual-use wings, most of the divers I encounter doing so have never owned them or have simply used them improperly(bungees way too tight, too loose, tied at different tensions, ect). It's also not that I just like my BWOD....it's that a lot of the complaints about them are just pure B.S. made up by zealots that....go figure, again, never owned them. If it just didn't work for you, trim wise or whatever, then fine, but that doesn't mean ALL dual-use wings suck, the same with dedicated wings. The trim characteristics of a lot of wings on the market are very different, some very head supporting(Agir-Brokk Habrok) and some very butt supportive(Dive Rite Classic or OMS horseshoe). So you go out and buy the wrong wing for yourself.......let's say it's an Oxycheq. Does that mean ALL dedicated wings suck? No, it means that specific design/trim characteristic is the wrong choice. Go figure.

No, they are not as good as a dedicated wing, and I agree with you guys on that as stated in my previous post. I do understand the importance of trim, but I also have a brain in my head(funny if you know my job/who I am:wink: ) and also understand that trim is NOT the most important thing for divers not in an overhead. It's overdone, overplayed, overrated by divers on the internet. There's a point where it really is good enough....it doesn't need to be perfect.

If you're driving a Toyota Camry, do you really need to buy different sets of tires, winter performance and a set of summer-only high performance tires? No, because a decent pair of all season is good enough. Easiest way I can get my point across.

Since you'd like two separate wings, think this over......
Do you need an Agir-Brokk, Halcyon, Golem Gear or Oxycheq Extreme series wing for single tank diving? They are incredibly rugged wings and very well made.......and frankly you don't need that ruggedness. If you do, then you're going places you shouldn't be with a single tank.

Something more reasonable is in order for a single tank wing.....think Deep Sea Supply, OMS, HOG(great deals on TDL since they're a newer company), or any brand as long as you can get a good deal on it. Take that money you saved by not spending $400+ dollars on a wing and go dive with it.....

Funny thing about this is that we are all pretty much saying the same things just from a different perspective. BWOD (joking - I know they work fine and won't kill you) works fine, dedicated wing works much better. A lot of people innitially buy a BWOD thinking it will save them a money, and then end up buying dedicated wings because they don't like the BWOD. The advice that many people, including me, are giving is skipping right to dedicated wings saves money in the long run.

Along the same lines, I still have a almost brand new Seaquest Ballance in my closet because I was told when buying gear that BP/W was only for tech diving. Does my balance work just fine? Of course. Do I like my BP/W a hell of a lot more? Of course.

I agree with you that a lot of the "problems" with bungied wings is total BS, and you might be surprised that the instructors in my GUE-F class also agree that a lot of the "dangers" people assign to them are made up. The still would never allow you to use one, but their reasons are more along the lines of you should be using the simplest piece of gear that does the job, and additional drag, etc. They did say that dual inflators are dangerous, but bungies not so much.

Thanks for all of the advice after what everyone said I think I am going to get two wings I was thinking about the dive rite classic wing for doubles but im not sure which one I should get for singles any suggestions.

The classic wing is really big, unless you have huge doubles and lots of other stuff I'd avoid it. I bought a rec wing, which is supposedly much smaller and to me it's still too big for my LP72s. There are some great deals floating around, I think northeast scuba supply has several of the new, better dive rite travel wings for $179, and I bought my rec wing from diveriteexpress for $179 because the silkscreened letters aren't completely straight. So, for $360 you can get one of each. Caveadventurers had a great deal on the oxycheq Mach V 30 lbs (excellent wing) but they might be out. They usually have some really good deals going on wings.

The thing I would want to avoid, unless you're loaded, is spending $350-400 each for a single and double tank wing, especially at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom