Which wide angle lens popular for underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alttc74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, im newbie in underwater dslr photography. A few things i quiet confusing & need some advise from expert here :) my setup is Nikon d7000 in ikelite housing.
1. Wondering which wide angle lens to choose & highly recommeded, tokina 10-17mm or nikon 10-24mm?
2. Do i need to use zoom clamp & sleeve in ikelite port for 105mm VR lens to shoot macro?

Appreciate your help :)
Cheers...

Hi, im newbie in underwater dslr photography. A few things i quiet confusing & need some advise from expert here :) my setup is Nikon d7000 in ikelite housing.
1. Wondering which wide angle lens to choose & highly recommeded, tokina 10-17mm or nikon 10-24mm?
2. Do i need to use zoom clamp & sleeve in ikelite port for 105mm VR lens to shoot macro?

Appreciate your help :)
Cheers...

I use the Nikon 10-24 and I love it. Wide shots come out great and it can handle close (not macro) shots well too. There is a ton of light and little distortion on the lens.

komodo d5000 110713 079.jpg5771631356.jpg

Nikon 14-24mm

The above are good choices. "Probably" the most popular WA lens for the D7000 is the Tokina 10-17mm, great glass, sharp, quick to focus and you can be touching the subject and get focus. In addition you can add the Kenko 1.4 teleconverter to shoot more medium sized subjects or CFWA macro.

For the 105 and the 60 most depend on the Autofocus. If you are going to do Super Macro with teleconverters and diopters many use the Focus Lock function.

10-17mm Very Wide
/]

10-17mm w/Kenko 1.4 tele and 4" dome (have to look for the leaf scorpion fish)

/]

I shoot a D7000 in a Nauticam housing underwater. These are what I chose:

WA: Tokina 10-17 & Zen DP100 port
Macro: 105mm 2.8G & Macro port 87

I would definitely get the focus gear for the 105mm. I find that I use it a good bit.

Also, set your AE-L to Focus=On so you can lock in focus with one button/lever and shoot with another.

Another +1 for Tokina

Another fan of the Tokina 10-17. If I had it to do over again though, I'd choose an 8" dome port over the 4" dome that I purchased ... less vignetting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, which 4" dome are you using?

Back
Top Bottom