Which wide angle for D80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! That's good, I think... Someone whispered there are some Sigmas made in the USA with lesser quality optics, and then excellent ones made in Japan. I have no idea if this is correct, but now I don't have to worry anyways!

I'm getting this lens! Thanks for all your help!!

Sigma makes some great lenses, I have a couple. But they do have QC issues within the run of lenses. Be sure to do some focusing tests and check for edge distortion from side to side, etc. Back focusing seems to be one issue that crops up. I haven't seen it myself, but have read about it on Nikonians (an excellent resource for buying gear, BTW.).

So be sure to buy from a place that will do an exchange if you get a bad copy.

I love my 17-70 macro, btw.

Jack

Sigma makes some great lenses, I have a couple. But they do have QC issues within the run of lenses. Be sure to do some focusing tests and check for edge distortion from side to side, etc. Back focusing seems to be one issue that crops up. I haven't seen it myself, but have read about it on Nikonians (an excellent resource for buying gear, BTW.).

So be sure to buy from a place that will do an exchange if you get a bad copy.

I love my 17-70 macro, btw.

Jack

Well, considering he alternative, these cost USD 700 here. So I might have to live with taking a few chances. Or simply just resell it if it doesn't suit my demands. But as a plain beginner I hardly think I am able to notice! :D:D

Hi Kompressor:

I live in the Seattle area, which has similar conditions to Norway. I also think the Tokina 10-17 is by far the best wide angle. I am not sure how suitable wide angles are for our areas, however.

My best shots from this area are with macro lenses, more specifically a Nikon 12-24. There is so little light, and so much nutrient in the water that very close shooting is a necessity. I have a lot of nice ling cod, cabazon, nudibrank, and fellow diver shots with this lens.

If I am using a wide angle it is much more difficult to get proper strobe settings/positioning, and I wind up with more back scatter than I would like.

Cheers,

Dan

Tokina 10-17 - a great lens because it is a fisheye zoom, very unique.

Sigma 15mm -also a great lens because it can focus very, very close and therefore you can get really creative.

Nikon 10.5mm fisheye - this is my "working lens" underwater. Crisp optics, but ironically the sigma 15 can focus closer.

Nikon 12-24 - a good WA lens with some range on it, but you need to use spacer rings on your ports on often a diopter on the lens depending on housing you are using.

Also, remember that depending on your housing you'll need to potentially buy different ports depending on what lens you choose. If you only choose a fisheye, that's fine, but you'll be a little limited in what you can shoot. If you can't get really close to your subject, even a big one, it will look tiny in the frame because a fisheye has such a wide angle of coverage.

Don't be cheap with your lenses - you have a good camera. :)

Back
Top Bottom