Which wide angle for D80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's time to get the D80 submerged. There's no way I can go get all the lenses and domes I "need" without the missis going bazurk. So I figure better start off easy with one lense. I'm thinking wide angle first. I'm not so sure why, but maybe it's because my old compact took some allrighty close ups. So been there, done that. But wide angle with divers in the pictures always stink when taken with a cheap compact. So that's what I want to try. I think...

What would be a good choice for a WA for my D80? I don't live in the tropics with plenty of light, so the lense have to do good with lesser light. I'm not so sure I want to get a "pirate lens", or more polite a lense of a different brand than original Nikon. From my school days and weekend job in a photo shop, original was a must for any good photographer. This has probably changed, but gut feeling is still there with me. Any reasons to reconsider? How about zooms vs fixed? And how much is E-nough to spend to get it good?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Actually the 2 lenses that I use are not Nikon (and I can buy any lenses that I want). I use a Tokina 10-17 and a Sigma 15 FE. Both are sharp and fast focusing. The Tokina is ~ $575 US and the Sigma ~ $350 US. If you want fairly wide and be able to shoot fish portraits too, The Nikon 17-55 or the Nikon 17-35 would be good choices. I own the 17-35 but have not used it UW yet. These 2 are around $1,400 US each.

HTH,
Dave

Actually the 2 lenses that I use are not Nikon (and I can buy any lenses that I want). I use a Tokina 10-17 and a Sigma 15 FE. Both are sharp and fast focusing. The Tokina is ~ $575 US and the Sigma ~ $350 US. If you want fairly wide and be able to shoot fish portraits too, The Nikon 17-55 or the Nikon 17-35 would be good choices. I own the 17-35 but have not used it UW yet. These 2 are around $1,400 US each.

HTH,
Dave

Your Tokina 10-17 seem to have Maximum aperture f/3.5-4.5, where as fixed lenses seem to have f/2.8. I live in Norway. The sun is low on the horizon, so I need a lense which handles less light than what most tropical divers endure. Any advice on how much this matters?

Which Sigma is it? I only found this one in 15mm: Sigma - Lenses at 750 USD. Is there another one?

"Fish Eye" vs "Wide angle" ?? What's the difference in practical use?

All of the WA shots in this gallery were taken with the 15mm Sigma FE:

GC07

I have bought from that seller twice and have had no problems.

HTH,
Dave

Thanks again Dave. Great photos!

It seems this will be a suitable lens for my needs.

Cameta photo has their store near me .I bought my Oly E-330 from them.They are reputable and actually have a brick and mortar store which I have been into.I would NOT hesitate to buy from them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom