Which Wetsuit(s) for Bali/Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bqualls

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be diving Bali(lembongan,menjangen,tulamben) then the Mermaid 2. I know I'll need my full 5mm for the Mola dives at lembongan and the southern Komodo sites....but should I also bring the 3/2 for the warmer sites ? I'm really not inclined to bring 2 wetsuits, but will the 5m be too warm at Tulamben etc. ? Going Sept/Oct.

If you're not inclined to bring two wetsuits, and you know you'll need a 5mm, it seems you have already answered your own question. :wink:

If you are doing more than 2 dives a day you´ll be happy you have the 5mm. Also like others said just unzip the suit a bit if you are hot. It works for me in Bali!

No question! 5mm. Its nicer to be too warm than too cold,as you can always flush through the wetsuit.

How about your 3/2 + vest for colder sites? Also wear a hood or surfer beanie. You will only have a few dives in cold water.

The answer to the suit question is always it depends on your tolerance. If you're from Florida, then odds are you may be cold because you're used to 80 degrees plus humidity, but if you're from Oregon you might be diving a skin and wondering what everyone is complaining about.

I brought both 3mm & 5mm for a January trip to Komodo, and only used the 5 a couple times, before using the 3 for the rest of the trip which included the Southern sites. I only found a couple times I went through cool water for maybe 1/3 of the dive. Personally, it's also quite hot air temp so I don't relish standing on the dive deck in a 5mm waiting to go, even though I always wet my suit when putting it on. I don't wear hoods unless I'm here in Monterey. YMMV

Agree with the others to err on warmth. If your tolerance is low, go with the 5mm. I've dived all the Bali sites and the water is very cold in Lembongan - 13C!. I remember that well as I checked my dive computer several times. Hood, gloves and socks are also a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom